Do I have to go to the job centre to continue getting HB?

Options

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So what is your applicable amount and how much income are you declaring?

It is exactly as people are telling you. The council is saying that you cannot live on the amount that you are earning taking into account your bills, council tax, food, broadband etc. and therefore must have another source of income.

If you want to continue to challenge this then I suggest you complete an income and expenditure form to show them how you are managing. Of course, if you have savings then this might also be taken into account.

Perhaps you would like to share with us your income and expenditure - might give us all some useful tips to pass on.
  • Harry_Benny
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    So what is your applicable amount and how much income are you declaring?

It is exactly as people are telling you. The council is saying that you cannot live on the amount that you are earning taking into account your bills, council tax, food, broadband etc. and therefore must have another source of income.

If you want to continue to challenge this then I suggest you complete an income and expenditure form to show them how you are managing. Of course, if you have savings then this might also be taken into account.

Perhaps you would like to share with us your income and expenditure - might give us all some useful tips to pass on.

I did complete an income and expenditure form.

A few years ago I had a part time job and my income was lower than the applicable amount by about £10 per week. They never had an issue.

Now, it's pretty much the same, but now they have an issue. Can you not understand why I'm questioning this? The only thing that has changed is that I'm not working for someone else.

Repeat : Nothing has changed except that I am generating this income without working for an employer.

Why does the council have such a problem with this? Why do they think that I should either sign on or get a job when nothing is different to how it was before, income wise?
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But how many hours a week do you actually work? That is key to understanding the issue. If you work 30+ hours then ok, you are low paid. If you work much less you are part time and can do a second job and should sign on. You seem reluctant to give any real detail. Why?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Harry_Benny
    Harry_Benny Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Xbigman wrote: »
    But how many hours a week do you actually work? That is key to understanding the issue. If you work 30+ hours then ok, you are low paid. If you work much less you are part time and can do a second job and should sign on. You seem reluctant to give any real detail. Why?
    Darren

I work less than 30 hpw.

I have asked before and I must ask again :

A few years ago I had a part time job and my income was lower than the applicable amount by about £10 per week. They never had an issue.

Now, it's pretty much the same, but now they have an issue. Can you not understand why I'm questioning this? The only thing that has changed is that I'm not working for someone else.

Repeat : Nothing has changed except that I am generating this income without working for an employer.

Why does the council have such a problem with this? Why do they think that I should either sign on or get a job when nothing is different to how it was before, income wise?
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    I can probably increase my income slightly, but increasing it to the level where I can pay the rent, no. Just like someone with an employer can't just decide one day to increase their income to whatever they want it to be.

If I was making the exact same amount from a job, they would have no issue, and I know from experience.

Ah yes they CAN by getting a better paid job or getting a promotion
  • theronstar
    theronstar Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Housing Benefit is phasing out and is being replaced by Universal Credit.

There is certainly a drive to make benefit claimants sustainable.

For example, for self-employed Universal Credit claimants, they are set a Minimum Income Floor.

An amount that the Jobcentre expect them to earn from their self employment to show that they are in gainful employment.

If they cannot do this - after an introductory period - then the DWP will mandate that they find some other work.

Gone are the days where benefit claimants can earn what they consider to be 'just enough'

Are you able to raise a complaint against how the local authority is handling your case?
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    theronstar wrote: »

For example, for self-employed Universal Credit claimants, they are set a Minimum Income Floor.

An amount that the Jobcentre expect them to earn from their self employment to show that they are in gainful employment.

If they cannot do this - after an introductory period - then the DWP will mandate that they find some other work.

Gone are the days where benefit claimants can earn what they consider to be 'just enough'

Are you able to raise a complaint against how the local authority is handling your case?

What would the complaint be about as far as I can see the council have don nothing wrong
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    theronstar wrote: »

Loads of stuff about how this is due to universal credits and sustainability which is exactly the issue the OP is bumping into, and then you suggest a complaint?!
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One could ask the same of anyone with a part time job. Why do they care so much that my income doesn't come from a job? Working for an employer isn't the only way to make money.

I have shown them where my income comes from and they are not disputing it.

I'm trying to understand precisely what their issue is. I have an income, and it's just a bit lower than the applicable amount.

I suspect that they are uncomfortable because I don't fit into their preconceived ideas of what is legit and what is not. Lots of people are self employed, I happen to be one of them.

I'm sure they'd have no problems if I was making the exact same money from a part time job.

They care because your income also does not come from benefits, as such it reads to me that they believe you are doing some form of undeclared work in order to get an income.

Normally people;s income is nil income, income from benefits or income from employment/self-employment.

Yours sounds like it comes from thin air.
  • catz1ct
    catz1ct Posts: 828 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don’t you want to go to the Job centre, after all its free money you are entitled to?

Are you claiming WTC to boost your income?
    :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport