DVLA Refund

Options
Sorry if this is not the correct place to post.

I recently found an old cheque issued to me as road tax refund when I scrapped my car. Cheque was for £90 but unfortunately it was over 8-9 years old. I sent the original cheque back to DVLA with a letter asking them to reissue it to me.

However they have written that they do not hold records for more than 6-7 years and therefore have no record and cannot issue me the new cheque.

Despite me sending them the cheque back (which is proof I have not cashed it, and proof that they still owe me the money) they have refused again after a second letter.

Where do I stand here? Do I just give in now as my fault or any way I can claim that back somehow?

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sadly you have no hope other than to rely on the goodwill of the DVLA.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You had 6 years to sort it out, they owe you nothing now, can you really blame them?
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    KSKnight wrote: »
    Sorry if this is not the correct place to post.

I recently found an old cheque issued to me as road tax refund when I scrapped my car. Cheque was for £90 but unfortunately it was over 8-9 years old. I sent the original cheque back to DVLA with a letter asking them to reissue it to me.

However they have written that they do not hold records for more than 6-7 years and therefore have no record and cannot issue me the new cheque.

Despite me sending them the cheque back (which is proof I have not cashed it, and proof that they still owe me the money) they have refused again after a second letter.

Where do I stand here? Do I just give in now as my fault or any way I can claim that back somehow?

Unfortunately as has been said, as it is over 6 years since you had contact with them about this debt it is now statute barred meaning you cannot legally force them to pay. (This will also be the reason they don't keep records more than 6 - 7 years.)

While the uncashed cheque is proof it was never cashed it is not proof you were never paid e.g. you could have reported it lost 7 years ago and have been paid with another cheque. As they no longer have records they cannot check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure