neighbour scuffed my bumper

Options
2»

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options

if i report this to my insurance but make no claim, will i need to put this on quotes and will this affect my premiums?

Yes you are asked about losses as well as claims.

Failure to do so is a breach which could allow the insurer to void your policy if they decide you deliberately breached the agreement. A voided/cancelled policy on your record is bad news

As the third party wants you to use her own insurer to deal with this, it's likely she already reported the incident to them - in which case this will be on the shared database insurers use to prevent this type of fraud .
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, i have reported it to my insurance anyway as i don't want to break any laws.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    some minor scuffs on my bumper.

jings,' minor scuffs', as already said, give it a wee cut and polish.

Your neighbour seems to have be quite amiable, so what's the point of punting up both your insurance premiums.

You'll only notice the 'minor scuffs' if you keep looking at them, wait until you have a good bang, then you'll notice it.

Chill.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

jings,' minor scuffs', as already said, give it a wee cut and polish.

Your neighbour seems to have be quite amiable, so what's the point of punting up both your insurance premiums.

You'll only notice the 'minor scuffs' if you keep looking at them, wait until you have a good bang, then you'll notice it.

Chill.

Sounds like the damage is already done.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    i'm not that bothered about making a claim (even if i was trying so hard to keep my car in good condition) - it was her idea to contact her insurance so i have told mine because i don't want to be breaking any terms if they found out from hers, but looks like my insurance will go up anyway... shouldn't have bothered telling anyone at this rate!
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    It's an accident your vehicle was involved in. The T&Cs require you to report it, even if not claiming.
    What if you'd done the scuffing deliberately, to give it some character ? That wouldn't be an "accident".

Insurance companies don't pay out. They lend you the money for the repair, and you repay the loan with increased premiums. The only exception would be if you were about to give up driving anyway.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    At what point do you have to inform your insurance company?

- when you get a stone chip from a car coming the other way?

- when I cause a minor scuff on my own car while reversing?

- when I polish it on a sunny day and make a hearse of it leaving it streaky?

- when someone calls it names and upsets it?

A few years ago I slid on ice and ended up just touching and slightly creasing the wheelarch of an empty parked minibus. (No damage to the plastic bumper of my wifes car which I was driving).

The dunt was hardly visible but I tracked down the driver and let him know what had happened. It cost me around £160 to get it repaired and the bus company that owned the minibus were very (very) happy that insurance companies were kept out of it. (it was they who arranged the repair using their contacts).

I've made zero claims in 25 years of driving and am beggared if I'm giving an insurance company an excuse to charge me more.

There really ought to be a threshold under which damage from an accident or incident need not be reported to an insurance company.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks, i have reported it to my insurance anyway as i don't want to break any laws.
    If you have reported it, there can still be an affect on your future quotes, so you might as well go ahead and claim.
  • Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dependent on the car for me. I have two cars, one worth about £1500 and 10 years old, I wounldn't bother, my other car is only 1 year old and worth much more, I'd get that fixed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure