PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it worth buying land?

Options
2»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    It is more of they don't rather than can't. It is similar to ask a BTL landlord how come you buy a house while banks don't even if they have more money than you?
    Not really. Banks don't tend to build large BtL holdings, merely provide the finance to others to do so.
    Developers don't usually buy land for buidling only 2-4 properties. They do it at much larger scale.
    Smaller experienced developers certainly can and do - especially in the Home Counties. Frequently...
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tell us more? Is this a small plot with permission for just one house? or a bigger site with permission for a small development? and what sort of price is being asked?

If the land is being sold at true building land price, them most of the profit has been made by whoever bought (or already owned) the land at agricultural prices. As a self build single house buying at building land price there would not be much profit to make. Most self builders like me, are building as a way to get the house we want rather than having to accept what a builder thinks we might want.

If it is a plot for multiple houses then one option might be to buy it as a whole and then sell individual plots. I know there is a shortage of single plots for self builders in the south so that may be an option?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,657 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hertfordshire is one of the cheapest areas of the country, with house and land prices at rock bottom.

The above statement contains 2 inaccuracies. There is a clue to each.

Unless the land is in the middle of a council or HA development (especially in Stevenage or Hemel Hempstead), with full residential planning permission, it is going to be very expensive. So if it looks like a bargain, beware!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • abbieJ
    abbieJ Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    • Why is the current owner selling it, rather than doing as you plan?
    • Why has no-one else bought it and done as you plan?

Exactly. I would ask myself the same question and do a further research before considering this option. It could be a great deal or a total waste of money. Too risky without knowing more about the land I think.
  • abbieJ
    abbieJ Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    • Why is the current owner selling it, rather than doing as you plan?
    • Why has no-one else bought it and done as you plan?

I would hazzard a guess that if it was possible to do as you plan, it would have been done by already. If it hasn't been done, it's probably safe to say it can't be done.

And anyway, what is it they say about things that sound too good to be true...?

Exactly. I would ask myself the same question and do a further research before considering this option. It could be a great deal or a total waste of money. Too risky without knowing more about the land I think.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    menachem wrote: »
    I didn't have experienced in buying land but, I think you need invest time and money. Time in a sense that you will have to find architect, choosing element structure and etc.
    bridgette1 wrote: »
    Hey there, I only have info about the french market since I live there, this is a good resource to browse and compare plots and land maybe you have something similar for your contry? Hope it helps.
    abbieJ wrote: »

Is it the idiots day out today?
    Pants
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    Is it the idiots day out today?
    All <10 post newbs. Since we promise to be nice to new posters, I won't suggest they may be building post count prior to spamming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure