ESA and Part time study

Comments

• Elise3
    Elise3 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I don't think you understand my question IamWales. Thankyou for your time
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    What do you think psychiatry is? I think you may be mixing it up with something else.
    Please help us to help you by saying what you think the work of a psychiatrist is.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Elise, I'm not sure any of us can help if you're saying that you need a job less physically demanding than hair and beauty with family friendly hours that would be manageable with your disability, and hten saying that you want to be a psychiatrist that works from home.

I'm all for having high expectations and goals of success but;
    assuming you already have the entrance requirements for medicine, It would be:

a minimum of 5 years as a medicine undergraduate (unpaid long hours), 2 years foundation training (20-30k less long hours than a decade ago but not short)
    6 years post grad specialty psychiatry training. long hours lots of travel, little choice where you work in the country

If you did it all full time.

Before you'd be able to practice psychiatry from home, and actually considerably more because a private practice requires a clinical consultant reputation first.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 3:51PM
    A psychiatrist is a doctor , medical degrees cannot be done part time or remotely and getting into medical school is very difficult.

I don't know what criteria they use nowadays, but my school friend ,who eventually became a consultant paediatrician, had to wait two years as she only had two As and a B at A level. (I am almost sure that you still need Physics,Chemistry and Biology A levels as a minimum)
  • Elise3
    Thankyou w06. I've read your reply, I appreciate your input. I have an Auntie who has the same background as I do, she managed with six children, no disability though. She is now a forensic psychologist. I did not want to take her time up, as she is busy with a newborn. I always find my way, when I don't, I go another route

Do you know if I could go to University and claim ESA? Given the info I have posted
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    a psychologist is not a psychiatrist. totally different things, so even speaking to your aunt would give you no insight into what qua;affections you would need.

you wouldn't be attending university, but would need to attend medical school.

no one can advise you when you don't seem sure what you are actually asking yourself
  • Elise3
    The input of dedication was my comparison. Thankyou nannytone.

Could someone advise me if I could claim ESA and go to University? Open or not.

I would be very grateful for this input. I have good medical professionals behind me. I would like though, to find out what I need to know now, then do the rest from there. It would be greatly appreciated and used wisely with thought and attention to detail. As to the next step I take, if I cannot, I'll go another route
    I apologise if I seem unsure
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »
    a psychologist is not a psychiatrist. totally different things, so even speaking to your aunt would give you no insight into what qua;affections you would need.

you wouldn't be attending university, but would need to attend medical school.

no one can advise you when you don't seem sure what you are actually asking yourself

Nannytone is correct. A psychologist is not a psychiatrist. The British Psychological Society can give you info on what the work and training entails.
    bps.org.uk
    Sorry I can't help with your benefits question.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You can study with OU whilst on ESA. You should declare the improvement in your condition to the DWP. You can do voluntary work on ESA, but work experience would need to be declared and approved.

Get an idea of what you want to do and then call OU for advice on the best path to take. You do need to be realistic, and given what you've said I doubt anything in mental health would be appropriate for you at present. Get some input from your medical professionals before committing to expensive study.

(For reference, a forensic psychologist would require a BPS accredited degree, an appropriate Masters, and two years clinical supervision. Given the nature of your patients, it is definitely not something you could do from home!)
  • Elise3
    *(space)

Teatime. Children calling. Have a nice evening, speak soon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business