PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Former tenant now wants bond back, advice please?

Options

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know it doesn't matter, but all I asked for was advice, not snarky comments. (I've never understood why people do it on forums).

There isn't much bond left to return; which they already acknowledge. In fact if we wanted to be hard nosed about it we'd charge them in full for the redecorating the living and dining rooms given that they didn't look after it. Given that the bond itself is £425 and the decorating alone cost quite a bit more. But no, I don't want a protracted argument, I simply wanted to know where I stood. And now I do.
    Thanks

There may not be much bond left but if they seek advice they will discover that they are quite entitled to sue you for 3X the bond...

So either take a chance, send them the breakdown and return the remaining bond, or send the whole lot back with an apology for it being late.

Their text clearly doesn't state you can keep it!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Gin_and_Milk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Their other text does state that but i take your point.
    I will arrange to return their bond in full when i get home from work.
    Thanks
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    AdrianC

I am not refusing anything and I'm not sure what makes you think that. I have thanked people for their help, however I have never understood why some people feel the need to post comments which are not intended to be helpful at all and I will leave it at that.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    I am not refusing anything and I'm not sure what makes you think that.

Simple. The replies you've posted.
    I have thanked people for their help

And complained about other replies.
    however I have never understood why some people feel the need to post comments which are not intended to be helpful at all and I will leave it at that.

"What you want to hear" is rarely the same as "helpful".
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    here isn't much bond left to return; which they already acknowledge. In fact if we wanted to be hard nosed about it we'd charge them in full for the redecorating the living and dining rooms given that they didn't look after it. Given that the bond itself is £425 and the decorating alone cost quite a bit more.
    Even if you had protected the deposit properly, this wouldn't be the case. Wear and Tear would apply on what you can deduct, and somehow, when it comes to tenants, it is expected that the W&T process is twice as quick than for an average home owner (a concept that I find very puzzling in its significance but were we are!).

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you return the deposit, they might get suspicious and indeed, question why that could be and find out about them being able to get x3 that amount if they haven't yet. That would mean paying x3 that amount in addition. Of course, it could mean that they are delighted and move on.

If you reply by doing as asked, ie. provide a breakdown of costs (remember W&T)and say you will return the rest, they might also be satisfied and move on. If they intend to take you to court, it might an amount that you can counter claim if the judge agrees that your deductions were reasonable.

One thing too to take into account is that they have up to 6 years to take you to court. Not a good place to be at and potentially a very expensive lesson.
  • Lrimas
    Lrimas Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Their text didn't really say that you can keep the bond, it said that they are giving up trying to get it because they can't do anything about it.

They have since found out that they have rights and have (rightly) asked you to follow the rules.

Even if you hadn't broken the law the morally right thing to do would have been to send them a breakdown of what you had to do to the place (taking into account the condition of the property when they moved in and wear and tear for the length of their stay).

For now I recommend returning the deposit. They already know they can take you to court.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Seriously how does one not protect a deposit, it's been law for ten years....
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Seriously how does one not protect a deposit, it's been law for ten years....
    Well, we don't know the back story, and they didn't decide...
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    I think you may have shot yourself in the foot asking for the solicitor's details, that may have been a threat but now that you have asked for the details they may go and get one.

If they didn't already know about the deposit scheme they will now. Paying back the whole deposit will also make them suspicious. I would see if you can come to an agreement with them before a solicitor is involved unless it's too late.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    I think you may have shot yourself in the foot asking for the solicitor's details, that may have been a threat but now that you have asked for the details they may go and get one.
    I was going to say, OP's husband telling them that they want to deal directly with their solicitor might have come across as a bit antagonistic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure