Home Insurance

Options
After years of staying with the same companies, I ran Moneysupermarket and the prices of combined buildings and contents are like a fifth of what I've been paying.
So now its a matter of choosing one. I wont go for the cheapest, but a reliable company. I've made no claims for years.
I went to public library today to see the on-line Which reports, but system was down; there was a small section in a recent Which magazine. Cheapest Moneysupermarket quote was Privilege. Now, Which seemed to rate them well, but an on-line check of reviews of Privilege was not encouraging.
I'll have to wait to see the full on-line Which reports.
Others that were a good price that Which rated were Halifax, LV, Tesco, Saga , LLoyds Bank.
Any comments welcome.
My buildings cover runs out end of June and contents at end of July which is a complication.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I think Which are grading them on the quality of their product, where as online reviews are grading them on the quality of their customer services.

I always suggest people take this with a pinch of salt, but its a useful guide if nothing else - https://defaqto.com/star-ratings/home-insurance

Many people get caught in the trap of cheap and cheerful/cheap and nasty rather than payiing for a quality product. Also many insurers have different quality of products, so you may see abrand name and think they are good but actually it is a stripped down version in order to get the premium down. On that link you will see the insurer in bold and then the rpoduct under it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    One of the most expensive but good quality, as in their exclusion criteria is very very short is Hiscox. But they are x3 times more expensive than what we are paying at the moment
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • geordiemick
    geordiemick Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    "I could be wrong, but I think Which are grading them on the quality of their product, where as online reviews are grading them on the quality of their customer services.

I always suggest people take this with a pinch of salt, but its a useful guide if nothing else -defaqto.com/star-ratings/home-insurance

Many people get caught in the trap of cheap and cheerful/cheap and nasty rather than payiing for a quality product. Also many insurers have different quality of products, so you may see abrand name and think they are good but actually it is a stripped down version in order to get the premium down. On that link you will see the insurer in bold and then the rpoduct under it."

Thanks for that..
    Thoughts:
    1) Customer service surely is a big part of the cover
    2) defaqto star-ratings/home-insurance ...rates Privilege (as an example, that was cheapest , at the top of my Moneysupermarket search) highly, but what about this ?? uk.trustpilot creview privilege
    3) I'll ring Halifax (who my buildings cover is with now), and ask if the on-line cover is the same.

4) What's the point of comparison sites if their recommendations aren't good quality?
  • geordiemick
    Options
    I rang the Halifax online . It all seems fine, no different from my letter of renewal only much cheaper.
    I just need to see what Which say.
  • guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    So many providers - I have no idea who to go with.
    My pension is with Aviva.
    Life insurance with Legal and General.
    Car insurance with Direct Line.
    Bank account with Santander.

Home insurance = ????

Also... I'm buying a new build. I'm not sure if I need to get home emergency cover (boiler, heating, plumbing, electrics cover) or if that's included in Barratt 2-year warranty.
    -> I think you're perhaps best getting a separate British Gas Home Emergency cover package instead of tacking it on with a home insurance product?
  • geordiemick
    Options
    do a moneysupermarket run.
    defaqto star-ratings/home-insurance seem good for ratings
  • guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    I've checked through this forum but there seems to be no clear winner.
    Too many companies get top ratings but then have poor online reviews.

TBH I'm thinking about sticking with Direct Line - for no real reason, either.
  • geordiemick
    Options
    I checked Which ; these come out best. It doesnt seem to correlate well with Defaqto???
    ageuk
    barclays
    john lewis
    LV
    m&s
    NFU
    RIAS
    Castle cover
    nationwide
    tesco bank
    saga
    shielas wheels
    axa
    churchill
    then about 15 more below
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Which? uses different criteria to rate insurers than Defaqto
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Price comparison sites pull up results on price. Most people just want the cheapest policy possible either because they do not want to pay much or do not realise the difference and think an insurance policy is an inurance policy/

Customer service is important, I was not suggesting otherwise. My point was if you buy cheap, there is going to be cut backs somewhere.

There is a good image that says
    "cheap, good, quick"
    Cheap and good wont be quick,
    good and quick wont be cheap
    and quick and cheap wont be good.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure