Boss taking out issues on me

northernsaver
northernsaver Posts: 43 Forumite
Hi all,

Today I got news from my boss I’m getting 78% of the quarterly bonus. -12% due to the whole group not making target- fair enough. -10% because my boss doesn’t like the work of one of my staff members.

I started in this company a year and half ago, as a Web Developer. I started at the same time and in the same team as Designer 1. We joined Designer 2 so we made a team of 3.

Designer 2 has been at the company for 7 years, and during this time has been the ONLY designer. After 10 months, I was asked to ‘step up’ and manage the 2 Designers during a busy time, though I am not a Designer myself, and have only had slight management experience.

I was asked to step up because our boss is a Director and he basically had no time for us.

I was officially made ‘design team leader’ in January this year. Also in January, Designer 1 (who started at the same time as me) left to move to another Country. I am now managing Designer2 (of 7 years) and an Intern (who leaves in a few months). Designer 2 is an older gentleman. His designs aren’t amazing, yes- I’ll admit it. He rushes things through to get them done- doesn’t put enough time into things, and isn’t thorough or consistent. But he’s getting better and willing to learn. He’s made improvements since I have managed him, and people have even said so.

However my Director boss has often over the past 3-4 months mentioned his work- asking what he’s got on, what extra things is he doing, and now it’s gotten to the stage where today he’s said ‘he’s on too much money and if I could bring back Designer 1 to swop, I would’. I’ve had my bonus email, to have 10% knocked off. My Director boss hasn’t actually mentioned this in the email (which has also annoyed me - not having it explained), only mentioning issues with Designer 2.

I’m really angry. I work so hard in my job, and feel I’m being penalised and that I’m a skate-goat for these issues that are likely to have been there prior me taking over as team leader. Yes I’m responsible for Designer 2, but only since January (and this bonus payment is for Jan-March) and feel I’ve helped him improve in the last few months.

Would like to know others opinions please. I plan to talk to my boss about it but wonder if I'm not seeing it neutral.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you think Designer2 is going to continue to drag your bonuses down because their performance is not being assessed fairly AND never will be; you have a stark choice: go and ask for their performance to be assessed fairly and leave if you don't get what you consider to be fair OR accept it and the fact that your own performance will also never be assessed fairly.

My advice is to do the latter, and leave when you have enough management experience to get a job as a manager at a better company.

The situation is not uncommon - as a manager you will be judged on the performance of your team. But the assessment should be a fair one and reflect what you have done to improve the situation.

You are right to be mad about this - in my experience, companies are only ever honest about how much they value you when awarding pay increases and bonuses.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    I get 0% of the quarterly bonus, because there is NO bonus :rotfl:

Wanna trade places?

I would personally organise a meeting with the boss and calmly ask for an explanation of the deduction and some advice on how you can meet the targets in the future. Bank your 78% bonus, bank your next few paychecks, apply for some jobs and keep your nose to the grindstone.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can you provide evidence of his improvement? I'm guessing it's quite a subjective thing, but some before and after designs might show the improvement. At the very least, it will show that you're not going to just lie down and let them deduct your bonus without at least an explanation - might make them think twice when awarding the next bonus.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    A bonus is a BONUS, instead of feeling hard done by, how about doing whatever you can to set objective targets for designer, and combine it with the training they need. That way in 3 short months you'll have something to show. Maybe you're not ready for management positions, but this is an education for you too, and a chance to actually do the stepping up the job title describes?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Agree an improvement plan with your boss or suck it up or move on.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884
    Forumite
    Surely the team performance is your responsibility? I guess it depends how the team is structured but if you are their line manager then usually you are responsible for their performance. And if the team is failing, then ultimately it's down to you to sort out.

It also depends how your goals are structured (if they are at all/the bonus could be completely discretionary and not bound to goals), its common in organisations for goals to be shared so if one team doesn't perform then other teams are also impacted. May not be fair, but isn't even bad practise.

I see you having two options, get on top of team performance or say you can't manage the team and get demoted. Perhaps ask for some team management training courses.

Hard to give more advice without understanding your role and how your organisation works.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Today I got news from my boss I’m getting 78% of the quarterly bonus. -12% due to the whole group not making target- fair enough. -10% because my boss doesn’t like the work of one of my staff members.

I started in this company a year and half ago, as a Web Developer. I started at the same time and in the same team as Designer 1. We joined Designer 2 so we made a team of 3.

Designer 2 has been at the company for 7 years, and during this time has been the ONLY designer. After 10 months, I was asked to ‘step up’ and manage the 2 Designers during a busy time, though I am not a Designer myself, and have only had slight management experience.

I was asked to step up because our boss is a Director and he basically had no time for us.

I was officially made ‘design team leader’ in January this year. Also in January, Designer 1 (who started at the same time as me) left to move to another Country. I am now managing Designer2 (of 7 years) and an Intern (who leaves in a few months). Designer 2 is an older gentleman. His designs aren’t amazing, yes- I’ll admit it. He rushes things through to get them done- doesn’t put enough time into things, and isn’t thorough or consistent. But he’s getting better and willing to learn. He’s made improvements since I have managed him, and people have even said so.

However my Director boss has often over the past 3-4 months mentioned his work- asking what he’s got on, what extra things is he doing, and now it’s gotten to the stage where today he’s said ‘he’s on too much money and if I could bring back Designer 1 to swop, I would’. I’ve had my bonus email, to have 10% knocked off. My Director boss hasn’t actually mentioned this in the email (which has also annoyed me - not having it explained), only mentioning issues with Designer 2.

I’m really angry. I work so hard in my job, and feel I’m being penalised and that I’m a skate-goat for these issues that are likely to have been there prior me taking over as team leader. Yes I’m responsible for Designer 2, but only since January (and this bonus payment is for Jan-March) and feel I’ve helped him improve in the last few months.

Would like to know others opinions please. I plan to talk to my boss about it but wonder if I'm not seeing it neutral.

Much appreciated.

It seems fair tbh
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,684
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's scapegoat by the way.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    redpete wrote: »
    It's scapegoat by the way.

No, it's Skate Goat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts