Which combi boiler to choose...Worcester or Ideal?

Options
I very much hope that you can advise me. I need to replace my Halstead combi boiler and have 2 quotes.

The first quote is for a Worcester 30i, c/w vertical flue kit plus extensions, Magnaclean filter, removal of existing room thermostat and fit new programmable thermostat - £2390.

The second quote is for an Ideal Logic+ 30KW, vertical flue and extension with roof slate, magnaclean system filter and mains cold water scalemaster filter, to carry out all alterations to pipe work as required & run condense drain to under the bath. - £1800

I read some poor online reviews of Ideal boilers though they were some years old. As the prices are quite different, not exactly like for like and I'm really clueless, I'd very much appreciate some feedback on which would be the better option and whether the prices quoted are reasonable.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 May 2017 at 7:47AM
    Options
    I think both quotes are reasonable.

We have only used Worcester Bosch boilers in our projects for a number of years. I'm not an engineer and don't know much in the technical way, but they are regarded as a better brand and we have only had a minor fault with one that had just been installed. Worcester Bosch fixed it themselves quickly.

That wasn't the case with other brands and so we won't be changing choice anytime soon :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I think both quotes are reasonable.

We have only used Worcester Bosch boilers in our projects for a number of years. I'm not an engineer and don't know much in the technical way, but they are regarded as a better brand and we have only had a minor fault with one that had just been installed. Worcester Bosch fixed it themselves quickly.

That wasn't the case with other brands and so we won't be changing choice anytime soon :o

same,

Only real issue I've had on a Worcester Bosch was a fried main board on installation, they motor bike couriered one to site the next morning.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I like the Worcester and they are very common and easy to get bits but they have a lot of plastic components.

I wouldn't put a ideal logic in, they are useless, forever cracking the condense sumps, I've change loads and as usual for ideal they refuse to admit it's a problem, search twitter for #sumpgate and you will see loads.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had an ideal logic 30+ in my old house for 3yrs and no issues and now we've moved into another house and just had a Logic 30+ installed and a year on and no problems

You can fork out on the top of the range boiler but it doesn't necessarily mean it would be fault free. So long as you have a good warranty and had a decent engineer install it then it's all down to luck of the draw
  • EmKay
    EmKay Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Just another quick question.....is a power flush necessary when installing a new boiler? It sounds logical to me though both quotes don't specify it.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You certainly need a flush of some sort, whether chemical or power. Failure to do that will invalidate your warranty if there is any trace of sludge etc in the event of a warranty claim. Query it with both.
    Bear in mind that most RGI's only fit one or two brands, and are incentivised for doing so, so their opinions are not unbiased.
    I've recently had a 30kW Viessmann installed, and so far it's very good.
    Remember that any boiler is ultimately only as good as the installer
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Go Worcester. My grandparents had an ideal, and it broke three or four times in a couple of years out of warranty - they replaced with a Worcester and its run fault free for six or so years now.

Buy from an approved fitter and you'll normally secure a longer manufacturer's warranty.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Halstead now Ideal later, you really don't like yourself do you lol,
    Personally I wouldn't fit either, Baxi or Intergas for me, brass & copper in the Baxi & only 4 moving parts in the Intergas.

Worcester made of plastic & Ideal just fall to pieces
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Ideal Vogue has higher quality parts than most of the other Ideals, and you dont end up paying the money assigned to the WB brand.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ideal Vogue has higher quality parts than most of the other Ideals, and you dont end up paying the money assigned to the WB brand.

I concur but that wasn't an option & I still wouldn't fit either makes
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure