Starting Job and coming off ESA

Hi,

I am currently on Conts Based ESA SG and Income Based Top up (in the process of being assessed for the top up).

I also get DLA.

I have a chronic disability, that will not get any better.

I have sourced a suitable job, which will be 18-24hrs per week.

I am due to start the Job on 4th July 2017, and my last ESA payment date before this will be June 30th 2017.

How do I go about telling ESA that I am starting this job?

Will there be an overpayment or an underpayment given these dates?

Because I have yet to get back a decision on my income based top up, will the back pay for this still go ahead even after my ESA is stopped, i have waited weeks and have not heard anything?

Do I need to tell the DLA, my disability has not improved and never will?

At what point does the linking rules start, if I need to reclaim?

Thanks.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Inform ESA that you have started work on the day you start, not before or there is a chance that payment will be stopped early. There is also the outside chance that a job offer will fall through at the last minute. The part payment for the final few days will be released when your claim is closed so there won't be an underpayment.
    If you start work before the decision is made on the IR element you will not get the addition money because the claim will no longer be live.
    If you have to reclaim within 12 weeks linking will apply and you will go straight back into the SG.
  • eyet
    eyet Posts: 21 Forumite
    How long would a Income Based Top Up decision take? It has been more than six weeks since it was sent off.
  • Write to the DWP with all details, send letters recorded delivery ( not that that makes much of a difference). If my experience is anything to go by it'll take half a dozen letters and several phone calls before the DWP realise that they've overpaid you and start demanding money back.
  • TELLIT01
    eyet wrote: »
    How long would a Income Based Top Up decision take? It has been more than six weeks since it was sent off.

It shouldn't take that long. Even allowing for the form to take 10 days to get to the processing office it should have been done by now. Phone them and confirm it was received.
  • TELLIT01
    Write to the DWP with all details, send letters recorded delivery ( not that that makes much of a difference).

The only difference recorded delivery makes is to increase the cost to the sender. The letter will be signed for at the mail sorting centre and doesn't mean that it has been received at the processing office. Don't waste your money on recorded delivery. If there are important documents such as passports requested, call your local Job Centre for an appointment for them to copy the items and forward them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Are you on contributions based due to a working partner or savings? I'm not sure what the income cut off for the disabled element of tax credits is but it might be an option with working 16+ hours and getting DLA. As i say it does depend on income though
  • eyet
    No don't have a partner.

Sent bank statement off with it cause savings were 5k but not 6k. Just in case.

Got a text the other week - saying I should hear back within two weeks. Did not hear a thing.
  • eyet
    Looking in to tax credits. Income is 15k limit for disability tax credit is 20 something. What happens if you occasionally do a bit of overtime? Over payment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure