edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
15 replies 6.1K views
2»

Replies

• ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

If it is related to that - i.e. a narrowboat from an insolvency practioner who is in a hurry to sell I'd be even more cautious!

And add, wrt to narrowboats, that you should be very wary of the rules of residential boating and the apparently hardening attitude of the Canal & River Trust (who control most of the inland network) towards residentials, particularly 'continuous cruisers'.
  • Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your replies so far. I feel I may have misconstrued the situation somewhat. Yes, it is related to buying assets from an insolvency practitioner. They are a large global company which is registered on companies house and all seems legit. There are contact details available but I have struggled previously to find a phone number for the specific department that's relevant to the purchase - mostly they either want contact via email or through the website's contact form.

I have no doubt that the company is genuine, I just want to make sure that the bank details that I've been given are actually belonging to the company to account for the (unlikely) that the person I've been talking to has swapped them out for his own personal details.

I don't really believe that we are being scammed - the whole process so far has been quite slow and various things about it wouldn't add up if it was a scam artist. However, I just want to make sure because it's a lot of money!
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your replies so far. I feel I may have misconstrued the situation somewhat. Yes, it is related to buying assets from an insolvency practitioner. They are a large global company which is registered on companies house and all seems legit. There are contact details available but I have struggled previously to find a phone number for the specific department that's relevant to the purchase - mostly they either want contact via email or through the website's contact form.

I have no doubt that the company is genuine, I just want to make sure that the bank details that I've been given are actually belonging to the company to account for the (unlikely) that the person I've been talking to has swapped them out for his own personal details.

I don't really believe that we are being scammed - the whole process so far has been quite slow and various things about it wouldn't add up if it was a scam artist. However, I just want to make sure because it's a lot of money!

Good that you're happy the purchase is legit - but why pay £20k by bank transfer?
  • maninthestreetmaninthestreet Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggest to the IP that you should pay using an Escrow service (of your choice), e.g https://www.escrow.com
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Just in case anyone was wondering how we got on - I did some more digging, confirmed the payment details, the sale went through, we have proof of purchase, and we now own a narrowboat! Hooray! Thanks for all your advice, very much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals