🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

No more Yellow Pages/Phone Books please! Blog discussion

Options
124»

Comments

• KittaKatta
    Options
    Have you asked your council that question KittaKatta? Maybe you could suiggest to them that recycling the directories would save 3 books a year from each house going in the bin, and that if other councils can do it why cant they.

Welcome to the boards:)
    Hi there! I have just realized that you replied to my message (sorry, I am still a 'newby') - thank you :) I have contacted the council for issues relating to recycling and other things in the past but it's like playing bingo: sometimes they help, some other times I don't even get a reply. I am keeping on the case/s though ;) H&F are actually improving with recycling, and at work we are all making efforts to recycle as much as we can; even exchanging things which can be recycled in one borough and not in another (e.g. batteries, drink cartons). It's kind of fun, and makes us all proud for trying :)
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    I would love to be able to opt out of these directories, - sign uponline not to recieve them. Unfortunately though that will never happen, - simply because of the advertising revenue.
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This link might be of interest to anyone trying to stop their phone book/yellow pages/thomson directory deliveries:

http://www.stopjunkmail.org.uk/news/articles/080527.php
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Find out if your local schools are involved with THIS
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • shrubster
    Options
    n69661376787_889.jpg

If you're fed up of receiving yellow pages directories, you should join our Facebook group No More Yellow Pages!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69661376787
  • southernscouser
    Options
    My granddad's left leg was 4 cm shorter than his right so we used to strap the yellow pages to his shoe to even him out.

This worked in the 80's but come the 90's the yellow pages was so much thicker all of a sudden his left leg was longer than the right.

So we eventually took the decision to seek professional help and the diagnosis was to use the Argos catalogue instead.

However Argos started to boom and the catalogue became thicker than Yellow Pages. However, Index (remember them) were the new kids on the block and the thickness of their catalogue was the perfect counter measure for the Argos catalogue.

It was a sad day in our household when Index ceased trading. It left granddad walking around in circles again. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport