Smart Switch preferences

Le_Kirk
Le_Kirk Posts: 22,269 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Anyone know how to tell not-so Smart Switch where to put temp files whilst doing the latest 7487 mb (it might have been 4785 mb) update. I have a small SSD for C:\ but absolutely masses of space on TWO other hard drives but Smart Switch insisted I didn't have enough room. There is no obvious way to change preferences to tell it to use a different drive. In the end I did it OTA using my home Wi-Fi.

Posted on mobile phones forum (Saturday) but no response ...... yet.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Samsung Smart Switch? I just put the 2 phones on the table near each other and no PC required?

Did you install the program to the C drive? Uninstall and change the install location?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Le_Kirk
    Samsung Smart Switch? I just put the 2 phones on the table near each other and no PC required?
    But how does that update each phone. I was trying to update to Nougat and it has usually been easier using my PC with Wi-Fi than over the air.
    Did you install the program to the C drive? Uninstall and change the install location?
    When I originally installed it, I put it on one of my "spare" drives/partitions that I have reserved for programmes other than Windows. It is still in that same location. It has never previously been an issue with the size of the download. I just want to be able to tell Smart Switch which location to use for the download.
  • forgotmyname
    Download the update file manually?

With my Samsungs I use ODIN to install updates.

Change the system variable to the temp download directory? Advanced system settings. It will change the download path for all tmp files though.

• Le_Kirk
    Download the update file manually?
    How do you do that please?
    With my Samsungs I use ODIN to install updates.
    Well, I am stuck with not-so-Smart Switch. I would prefer not to have updates all the time, if it works, leave it alone!!! AND Samsung have changed the look of the calendar, I don't like it!
    Change the system variable to the temp download directory? Advanced system settings. It will change the download path for all tmp files though.
    Yep, tried that, still told me I didn't have enough room!! Doh!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Just a thought have you tried the previous Samsung tool KIES ??
  • Le_Kirk
    I have (I still have it on the PC as I still use the previous mobile) and as soon as you plug in the Galaxy S6, it tells you to ditch Kies and use Smart Switch.
  • forgotmyname
    If you set the temp download directory then it should override the download folder of the program in question.

KIES shudders spawn of SATAN :)

ODIN all the way...

• Le_Kirk
    If you set the temp download directory then it should override the download folder of the program in question.
    Yep, I know it should, I definitely did it (because I had to set it back afterwards) and yes, I did a restart after changing it. I even told the PC I'd done it, questioned it's parenthood and all the usual things one does ........... but it (Smart Switch) still told me I didn't have enough space.
    Anyway, as I said in the OP, it's done OTA .......... until next time!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure