Multi-gym in house

Hi there,

I would very much appreciate some advice if that's okay.

I'm quite keen on my fitness and have a multi-gym (purchased from Argos): Men's health 66Kg home multi-gym.

I'm also a first time buyer and have just recently moved house.

However, I'm understandably a little bit more cautious about causing any potential damage to my own property. I was intending on building the multi-gym in an upstairs spare bedroom to create a small gym/work-out area.

However, does anyone know if it's safe to house a home multi-gym upstairs? It might sound like a bit of a silly question, but I don't want to risk causing damage to the upstairs flooring or downstairs roof (as it is quite a heavy piece of kit).

Does anyone know if it's structurally safe to build a multi-gym upstairs?
Do any of you currently have/use a home multi-gym upstairs and have not had any issues with doing this?

Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• custardycustardy Forumite
    38.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Shouldn't cause any issues if the floors sound
    However these things are often bought & never used.
    Will you? If so look to second hand. save a fortune.
  • JazeeJazee Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We have an upstairs gym in what was a bedroom. Not a multi-gym but fully equipped so treadmill etc. All used regularly for over 5 years and no structural problems.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I used to have a multi-gym in an upstairs bedroom with no problems although height-wise it only just fitted.

Still have it but it's now in an outbuilding with a solid concrete floor which is better for free weights. I certainly wouldn't be using those in an upstairs bedroom.
  • My sister bought a multy-gym. It's on the third floor now - no problems but for the sound.
  • ukjoelukjoel Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your multigym is 66kg as you say then ask yourself the following question.

If a 66kg person went into that bedroom and fell through the floor would they sue the housebuilder?

Yes - they would. Therefore most rooms are designed to handle significantly more weight than that.

I think years ago I had a 150kg system in a loft room with no issues and when I got rid of it for free weights there must have been over 200kg of free weights floating around in the room.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android

MSE App

Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools