Carers Benefit

Options
Does any one know if you leave a job (which does not allow few enough hours to enable caring) to become a full time carer whether there is a waiting period before you are eligible to get this? If so does it make a difference to how long the wait is whether your employer ends your contract of employment or whether you end it?

We know that you can work and claim full carers allowance (so long as care 35 hours and earn less than £110 a week- (14.6 hours on minimum wage less on higher)). We also know can get other benefits if not working but claiming.

We are currently reviewing options. For info: Person needing care has a morning paid carer coming into their home to help with washing and dressing. Otherwise my partner provides most of the care due to being signed off by doctor. I give them support where I can. Their employer is putting pressure on them to make a decision as to whether they will remain in caring role or return to work. Person needing care is able to go to day centre once a week currently, they may be able to go more once they have had a follow up assessment. However they cannot go every day and the minibus doesn't always turn up on time nor do they ensure the home is locked and alarmed. Meaning my partner would need to wait until they have left to go to work on that day. They were allowed 2 care visits a day, but the second which was supposed to be in the evening (to ensure dinner was eaten/ help clear up after) usually turned up mid afternoon which was unhelpful. The person gets attendants allowance. They are currently over the savings threshold for paying for care in the home. So have to pay a monthly bill, the attendants allowance covers the amount they have. Any extra they would need to self fund under current legislation. We are aware of befriending services, however these specifically state that they are not to be used a care provision.
Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not clear from your post who is thinking about claiming Carer's allowance.

Are you talking about your partner who is currently off sick from work?

Do you live together? Is the cared for person living alone or with you/partner? Is the cared for person claiming any benefits?

If it is your partner who is thinking of claiming Career's allowance are they currently receiving SSP or contractual sick pay or ESA?

Sorry for all the questions but the answers could make all the difference to advice given.

Please tell us the exact situation of all the people involved.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry I thought it was obvious it was my partner. Cared for person lives with my partner. Cared for person claims attendants allowance, one of benefits necessary for a carer to claim carers benefit. Partner gets paid sick pay by work, so currently cannot claim. (contractual full for 6 months reduces thereafter has been off since January) However work are putting pressure on to return to work and is beginning to suggest contract may be terminated. What we are not sure is whether they are best to string it out as long as possible and let the employer make the decision or whether it is better to make the decision themselves. We know with some benefits leaving voluntarily means a long wait, not sure if the same applies for carers benefit.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,500 Forumite
    Options
    Are you saying that the partner is now well enough to return to work but thinks that s/he should give up the job so as to provide full time care to the friend/relative on Attendance Allowance who cannot cope without such assistance?
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    Sorry I thought it was obvious it was my partner. Cared for person lives with my partner. Cared for person claims attendants allowance, one of benefits necessary for a carer to claim carers benefit. Partner gets paid sick pay by work, so currently cannot claim. (contractual full for 6 months reduces thereafter has been off since January) However work are putting pressure on to return to work and is beginning to suggest contract may be terminated. What we are not sure is whether they are best to string it out as long as possible and let the employer make the decision or whether it is better to make the decision themselves. We know with some benefits leaving voluntarily means a long wait, not sure if the same applies for carers benefit.

To answer your question very specifically, there is no waiting period to get carers allowance if a person leaves their job to claim carers. As always there are other factors involved.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Are you saying that the partner is now well enough to return to work but thinks that s/he should give up the job so as to provide full time care to the friend/relative on Attendance Allowance who cannot cope without such assistance?
    Debatable still signed off by doctor who is also relative's doctor so knows situation. But yes thinks cannot leave relative without assistance, relative is ok for a couple of hours but no more than that. Technically at the moment due to being off they are providing full time care to relative. This has involved having to clean relative after they have had an accident and manage to get it all over socks (pulled down underwear and stepped in mess), trousers and underwear less than an hour after the carer had been. Has happened a few times but not every day/week. Ironically under the Tory manifesto the right to up to a year off to care for old relation would be great in this circumstance, however it is currently only manifesto and may or may not come into legislation.

However question is not about whether it is right to give up work to care. It is about whether like other benefits carers benefit is effected by how you leave the job to become a carer.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is about whether like other benefits carers benefit is effected by how you leave the job to become a carer.

As Diary says - there is no delay in claiming CA if you give up work.

It sounds like a sensible arrangement in this case. The increasing need for care suggests it won't be adequately dealt with by a couple of carer visits a day.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for explaining. Referring to your partner usually means that they live with you, hence the question.

Since your partner is on full contractual sick pay then I see no advantage in their leaving their job to receive Carer's allowance which even with an Income Support 'top up' (which is means tested) is a small amount of money although they may be eligible for housing benefit if they rent.

It may be worthwhile your partner putting their details into the benefits calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk to see what extra help they may be entitled to.

I don't know the living arrangements of the person they care for (joint tenancy etc /family member) or whether that person (the cared for) claims any benefits but it is worth checking that the 'cared for' person does not lose any disability premium if your partner claims CA.

As already said, there is no waiting period and no sanctions as regards claiming CA but in your partner's situation it sounds as if they are best letting their employer make the decision rather than resigning.

If your partner returns to their job then it might be better financially for private care to be arranged if social services cannot be relied upon (have you put in a complaint about the timings of the visits? Have they had another assessment recently if things have deteriorated?)
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't make sense though a sick/fit note is for that person's own health and not becuase they have a caring responsibility. That could be considered fraud by the employer who is essentially paying for your partner to care for their relative.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,500 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't make sense though a sick/fit note is for that person's own health and not becuase they have a caring responsibility. That could be considered fraud by the employer who is essentially paying for your partner to care for their relative.

One assumes that the doctor will only give a fit note if the partner is ill enough to warrant one?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Their employer is putting pressure on them to make a decision as to whether they will remain in caring role or return to work.

It doesn't seem fair to keep the employer hanging on if he/she isn't going back to work.

Make a decision one way or the other and then make plans accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure