Eligibility for UC - Housing Costs where 6 months rent has been paid upfront.

Options
If a typical single claimant were somehow to pay six months rent upfront for a new property, would they still qualify for the standard housing cost element under Universal Credit for that same period?

Thanks.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is certainly allowed with regard to HB so do not see how it would be different under UC. The housing element would be part of your UC award and would come directly to you. I do not see how they would know that you had paid 6 months up front.
  • cryptic_alias
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    This is certainly allowed with regard to HB so do not see how it would be different under UC. The housing element would be part of your UC award and would come directly to you. I do not see how they would know that you had paid 6 months up front.

Thanks for replying.
    Would you not have to provide the DWP with a copy of the new tenancy agreement? I assume this would state the amount which had been paid upfront.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have searched and searched for the guidance on this and cannot find any reference to when rent is paid up front.

However, the housing element is paid when you have liability for the rent.

Also, I have found an example where rent is paid annually and the housing costs are worked out on a monthly basis. This would suggest that the rent would have to be paid annually but you would only receive the housing element in UC monthly.

In this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/614015/admf3.pdf

F3090

Sorry I can't help further.
  • cryptic_alias
    Options
    @pmlindyloo

I see, that makes sense. Very helpful information. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure