IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

APCOA Parking Fine - Appeal?

Options
offdutyninja17
offdutyninja17 Posts: 8 Forumite
Hi there

I received a parking fine from the car park firm APCOA, at Victoria station car park (Manchester, Long Millgate). They use the system of cameras and entering your registration details into the ticket machine to combat people who transfer tickets that still have time left on them. The registration was entered into the ticket machine, but instead of "XX61XXX", "XX16XXX" mistakenly typed and thus a fine was issued as the number plate recognition cameras photograph your car as it enters and leaves - could / would it be worth it to appeal? The ticket that was purchased is available to provide as evidence that in fact a ticket was bought, there was just an honest mistake in entering the reg number.

Any advice at all would be appreciated, Many Thanks!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bylaws apply there, so keep the owners details and drivers details secret (and edit post #1 accordingly)

use the blue text template appeal to apcoa from the NEWBIES sticky thread , as KEEPER

then use a bylaws type popla appeal (as keeper) , like they did in this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5633739

EXPLANATIONS WONT WASH , SO STICK TO THE TRIED AND TESTED FORMULA

which is that APCOA cannot issue penalty notices under the bylaws, and cannot isse a PCN under parking rules (only the TOC can issue a penalty notice under the bylaws, in a magistrates court, which they never do)

yes it sounds complicated, so use the blue text appeal and gen up on bylaws cases at railway stations, including INDIGO as well as APCOA
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above. Edit your post as above to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper.

Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES adding that since byelaws apply, this car park is not relevant land as per the POFA 2012 and therefore the keeper is not liable.

If/when CRAPCOA reject the appeal, use the template appeal points in post 3 of the NEWBIES plus the byelaws point in order to beat the scammers at PoPLA.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2017 at 4:05PM
    Options
    Judges tend to be hard on PPCs who try to cash in on very minor human errors, so, if the PPC took this to court they would struggle.

It is always worth appealing a ticket on land covered by Railway bye-laws as it costs them money and they may have opened themselves to a claim for a DPA data breech, which, if successful, would cost them lots more money.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5655023
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • offdutyninja17
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt & very helpful responses, if it's ok I'd like to ask a couple of follow up questions;

So the issue of mistakenly entering the incorrect reg number shouldn't even be brought up in the appeal? Stick to the argument regarding relevant bylaws?

A point that was forgetfully not mentioned - The fine arrived in the post whilst the driver & the keeper were not in the country, and wasn't noticed until they returned 10 days after the fine was issued. 2 calls were made to APCOA with the intention of gathering some details regarding their appeals process but on both occasions the automated service just looped through hold music, a recorded message that their lines are busy, that our call was #1 in the queue and would be answered shortly, ringing (as if the call was finally going through to an actual phone), and then back to on hold music etc.

Lastly, today is the day in which their reduced rate in paying the fine early no longer applies, from now on the full charge applies and there's roughly two weeks left for it to be paid.

Do these points change the process you guys have suggested in any way?

Once again thanks very much you guys have been a great help! (I was contemplating just paying the fine off)
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    forget the above, just appeal as KEEPER with the blue text appeal as instructed (you do not want to give anything away) - follow thr appeal instructions on the NTK

keep the above if it ever went to a court case (which is unlikely seeing as bylaws apply)

once 6 months have elapsed, the TOC cannot take anyone to court

the time to kill this off is at popla as POFA2012 does not apply so the RK is not "liable" , this is the winning argument here for the moment
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Save the reg no thing for the judge, Never mind the early bird payment, it is still lousy vfm.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not a fine.

Please follow the advice already given. Nothing in your last post changes anything.

Never, ever 'phone a parking scumpany.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts