One service sale, tax or register?

Options
Hi all,
I hope I'm writing on the correct place and if you could help me with my question.

I have made a photographic service for my girlfriend boss. It was a one time, and he paid me £200 cash. He said an invoice was not necessary so I did not worry about it.
Now she is moving to another job, and they are getting her some trouble, and now he wants an invoice (the photos were done 3 months ago).

Will I have any problem for writing him an invoice, and will I need to pay any tax on it?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    jjpmaia wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I hope I'm writing on the correct place and if you could help me with my question.

I have made a photographic service for my girlfriend boss. It was a one time, and he paid me £200 cash. He said an invoice was not necessary so I did not worry about it.
    Now she is moving to another job, and they are getting her some trouble, and now he wants an invoice (the photos were done 3 months ago).

Will I have any problem for writing him an invoice, and will I need to pay any tax on it?

Thank you for your help.

No, this isn't the right place. Nevermind.

Produce an invoice as requested.

Technically speaking, that £200 cash is taxable income. You are supposed to tell HMRC. If you don't, there is a very small risk that HMRC might find out.
  • jjpmaia
    jjpmaia Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I see.

I don't mind paying tax, but if I do it will be almost £90, so he is only asking for it now because of my girlfriend quitting her job.
    Since the payment was in cash, is there any way he can't put me in trouble if I don't do an invoice?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't see how he can tbh, unless you signed something when he paid you, or before. Sounds like she will be well out of it.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Why would the tax be £90? Are you an additional rate taxpayer?
  • jjpmaia
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    I don't see how he can tbh, unless you signed something when he paid you, or before. Sounds like she will be well out of it.

Nothing, he paid me in cash and that's all.
    Why would the tax be £90? Are you an additional rate taxpayer?

I may be wrong, but I have my main job where I earn over £11.000. My annual income is £xx.xxx, if I simulate my income and then simulate with +£200 its states tax will be an extra £80 (not 90, sorry).
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I have my main job where I earn over £11.000. My annual income is £xx.xxx, if I simulate my income and then simulate with +£200 its states tax will be an extra £80 (not 90, sorry).

If you earn over £45,000 a year then the £200 will be taxed at 40% which is £80.
  • jjpmaia
    Options
    No, I earn less.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, I earn less.

In the UK you can earn up to £45000 above that you pay 40% £200 = £80
    if below that you pay 20% = £40

I you live in the DPRS you can earn up to £43000 above that you pay 40%
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some OP's just come on and ask a question then disappear to the next post to ask another question? Bad manners??
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • jjpmaia
    Options
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    Some OP's just come on and ask a question then disappear to the next post to ask another question? Bad manners??

Sorry?
    The other questions was made before this one, and I don't understand your problem since I have had an answer and I thanked it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure