Universal Credit - Working family

Options
Hi

So I've complete my Tax Credit Renewal and whilst I had all my figures together, I thought I'd punch them all in to "Entitled To".

The website fed back that my family and I are missing out on £28 per week HB. I thought winner!! So off I pop over to my council website to submit a claim. I discovered that in order to claim HB I'll need to claim UC and combine my Tax Credits and HB together in this system.

I had my "Entitled To" page still open and checked the UC estimate. Turns out it I'd receive £200 more per month with UC than I would if I had separate claims under the old system.

Whilst they've been pretty spot on with other Benefit payments I've had in the past. How accurate are the "Entitled To" calculations for UC?

A lot of the information that I've been reading has been based on unemployed singles/couples and doesn't really tell you much for working families for example;

Would we still be required to attend an interview at the JC and would my partner be required to attend periodically? or would we simply continue as we are.

£200 is £200, but I'm worried that it will be a ball ache and we end up worse off for it

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Entitled to is normally accurate providing the figures you enter are accurate.

Some people will be better off on UC but lots of people will be worse off. UC is a monthly assessed benefit, so you what you get depend on your monthly net income - if that varies, so will your UC.

How many hours do you and and your wife work? How old are your children? And do you have savings over 16k?

IQ
  • grudz
    grudz Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi IQ

Thank you for your reply

I work 37.5 hours and my partner (we're not married, yet) is currently a stay at home mum who is keen on going back to work, when that will be we don't know yet, so for now she's, I believe the old school term is, a "Housekeeper" or "Homemaker".

The kids are 6 and 8, both girls.

Savings, I wish.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    grudz wrote: »
    Hi IQ

Thank you for your reply

I work 37.5 hours and my partner (we're not married, yet) is currently a stay at home mum who is keen on going back to work, when that will be we don't know yet, so for now she's, I believe the old school term is, a "Housekeeper" or "Homemaker".

The kids are 6 and 8, both girls.

Savings, I wish.

That situation is fine under tax credits - but under UC, depending on your earnings, your partner would need to look for work. Somewhere between 16 and 35 hours depending on what the jobcentre deem is suitable in her situation.

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport