Child Benefit

Options
Apologies, if this is not the right forum!

My wife and I live together, she has four children, 2 are from a previous partner and we have 2 together.

My wife claims child benefit for all 4.

She has 27 years of the 30 she needs of Pension contributions (she has worked since 17), I only have 23 as I missed 3 years whilst in higher education.

is it possible to have my wife claim for the 2 from her previous relationship and I claim for the 2 we have together?

We live together and I understand there may be an issue as we wouldn't want to get a child each at £20.70 and £13.70

Or would we need to wait until her first two children are too old for child benefit or past an age where you still get CB but no pension contributions? Am I right in thinking that pension contributions for CB stop at 12?

Many thanks:)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ive never heard CB pension cont. (HRP, home responsibilities protection) ending at 12 ?
    As I see it you are a family unit and can only make one claim, you will both need 35 years of cont. for a full state pension, can I assume at some point that your wife will return to work and get another 8 years of cont, and that you have another 12 years to work(at least), all that being so then I don't see your problem.?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are either of you employed now?
  • KenAdams2015
    KenAdams2015 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to our gateway / personal tax accounts it says we need 30 years, well it says she has 27 and needs 3 more and I have 23 and need 7

My wife has always worked from 17 up to end of 2014.

We both hopefully have enough years of work left I was just wondering when it says she has full record about transferring to me.

Thank you for replying:)
  • KenAdams2015
    KenAdams2015 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife is a SAHM and at the moment I am employed but only recently and after being out of work for a year or so (I am not expecting 2016/2017 to qualify with enough contributions)
  • Mojisola
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    you will both need 35 years of cont. for a full state pension

The 35 years is for people whose NI record starts after 6 April 2016.
  • Mojisola
    Options
    My wife and I live together, she has four children, 2 are from a previous partner and we have 2 together.

My wife claims child benefit for all 4.

She has 27 years of the 30 she needs of Pension contributions (she has worked since 17), I only have 23 as I missed 3 years whilst in higher education.

As you have young children, it should be fairly easy to make up the years you need through employment - you've got a lot of working years ahead of you.

You can switch the CB to you but if you are working and getting paid enough for NI contributions, there's no point.
  • KenAdams2015
    Options
    Yeah very true, with step children and biological children would prob be too messy to allow us both to claim for 2 each
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    Ive never heard CB pension cont. (HRP, home responsibilities protection) ending at 12 ?

I think it dropped from 16 to 12 a few years back
  • KenAdams2015
    Options
    Read it on thisismoney.co.uk and moneyadvicesevice.org.uk always thought it was (well presumed) for however long CB was paid
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,897 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    The 35 years is for people whose NI record starts after 6 April 2016.

But those starting before April 2016 may still need 35 or more to get the maximum pension - it depends on whether they have previously been contracted in or out of the additional state pension (SERPS / S2P)

People need to get individual forecast to find out what their current forecast is and how many more years they need to reach the maximum

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport