Cancellation insurance, called as witness

Options
Hello everyone.

I am due to be going on an expensive, once-in-a-lifetime type trip with my partner in September.

I am jumping the gun a little here, but there might be a chance that I could be called as a witness in a rape trial. It will be important that I attend, obviously.

I have not yet been called, merely told it's a possibility that it could happen.

We haven't bought insurance yet (we were thinking about getting it soon but hadn't really thought much of it!)

I'm now looking to get us an annual couples policy with enough cancellation budget to cover ourselves. I've read through the cancellation policy doc for one I have seen but it doesn't explicitly mention cancellation due to judicial requirements. They all seem to cover everything else. Bodily harm to people associated with you, police requiring you to stay at your home due to it flooding, various other things. None for having to stay at home due to being called as a witness.

What on earth do I do?!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    As you already know about the possibility that you may be forced to go to court then no insurer will offer cover.

Maybe make known now to the authorities involved you will be unavailable and see if they change the trial date.
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep that was another fear :(

There has been no trial date scheduled. It's very early stages. The crime has occurred, suspect has been apprehended but that's it so far.

I guess I just have to pray that the court date doesn't fall in my holiday time. If it does, I will just have to lose out :(
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    greensalad wrote: »
    I've read through the cancellation policy doc for one I have seen but it doesn't explicitly mention cancellation due to judicial requirements.
    The first two I looked at cover the need to attend court as a witness. I thought this was quite standard.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Presumably you've already given a witness statement? If so then you should have been asked for any dates when you would be unavailable to attend court.
    If they didn't ask you this then I would get a message to the investigating officer.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know police officers are asked about dates they can't attend court so I'm sure witnesses are too. You won't be expected to miss your holiday but try to find out now when they'll ask you for your dates.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport