Curry's returns policy?

Options
Hi,

i've not contacted them yet, would rather come on here first. i purchased a washing machine from their store in Preston last July. it's still under warranty. in the last 10 months i've had to call an engineer out for the same fault, twice. the same fault has now occurred for a third time.

am i within my rights to now ask for a new machine? can i look for a new machine that will be more reliable and just pay whatever extra, against what i paid on the original machine. i don't find a 3rd engineer call out at all acceptable. the fault in question is actually quite dangerous to the point where the underside of the machine is sparking and flashing. It's a Logik washing machine. to me a machine is a machine, im not a brand person, but enough is enough with this.

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 a seller is entitled to ONE opportunity to effect a repair to bring the goods into conformance with the contract. If the same fault reoccurs the consumer is entitled to reject the goods for a refund. (Or a replacement, if the seller agrees).

The amount of the refund depends on how long the consumer has owned the goods ... when was the 1st repair with respect to purchase date? Was it within 6 months?

As an aside, what are the terms of the warranty? (Warranties are on top of your legal rights, not instead of).
  • Chorlton74
    Chorlton74 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 a seller is entitled to ONE opportunity to effect a repair to bring the goods into conformance with the contract. If the same fault reoccurs the consumer is entitled to reject the goods for a refund. (Or a replacement, if the seller agrees).

The amount of the refund depends on how long the consumer has owned the goods ... when was the 1st repair with respect to purchase date? Was it within 6 months?

As an aside, what are the terms of the warranty? (Warranties are on top of your legal rights, not instead of).

i bought the machine in July 2016. the first time an engineer came out was in November. the second time was in January. ideally whatever i paid for the machine, i just want to find a better one and pay the difference. surely they must honour this? i don't have the warranty to hand.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just be prepared for them to either want to send an engineer to confirm the fault or for them to ask you to provide an independent report showing that it has an inherent fault. Once that has been done you can reject it, do not allow then the chance to repair it again as it is harder to fight against them if the repair has already been done. Once rejected they should refund you although they can make a deduction for the use you've had of the machine for almost a year.

If it goes down the independent report route you will have to pay up front for the report and if it is found to be an inherent fault you can also claim this cost back from Currys, if it is found to not be an inherent fault then you are not entitled to claim for the cost of the report.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2017 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Given that it's a Logik, and probably cost under £200, paying out for an engineer's report is unlikely to be cost effective.
    A one year old Logik will be half way through it's effective life cycle, so if they value it at more than £70, I'd be surprised. Logik is Curry's house brand, so the actual manufacturer could be almost anyone, and spares will be difficult to source. One of the worst machines on the market.
    Pay more like £350 for a decent brand (budget Bosch maybe) from somewhere with decent after sales service: JL will give you a 2 year warranty on all white goods.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the fault that has been repaired ? Sparking and flashing from underneath sounds like motor brushes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure