Barclays Additions Account

Sinderella
Sinderella Posts: 41 Forumite
I once held a Barclay's Additions account but cancelled it some years ago.

I'm unsure if I was mis-sold because the bank told me I would benefit from their travel insurance. I specifically remember a few years ago just before I went on holiday I asked the bank about my insurance and they said I didn't need to do anything as I would be covered while abroad and when I return home I could cancel it if I didn't need to claim on the insurance. Even though I was concerned about not having a policy as such (I don't remember seeing a policy), I continued without it.

Indeed I cancelled my Additions account when I returned.

What I'm asking is would I have been able to use it if I did have claim? If not then was it mis-sold to me?

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What I'm asking is would I have been able to use it if I did have claim?

Barclays told you that you would benefit from it.

However, it is irrelevant now as that holiday has gone and you didn't suffer a claimable event. So, its a non-issue.
    If not then was it mis-sold to me?

Doesnt sound missold.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Barclays did a very hard sell on this account. If memory serves it was probably around 15 years ago. I remember being in the bank to discuss getting an overdraft facility in the days when bank staff at the till would discuss such things. I was told I could only have an overdraft if I upgraded to the additions account. In fact there was a member of staff signing people up in the queue.

At the time I had no car, no mobile phone and didn't travel so none of the benefits would have applied to me and the bank told an outright lie about the overdraft requirements.
    I was refunded for this along with the overdraft protection policy I was also told I must have.

In your case, what makes you think it was missold? I ask as a genuine question, could the account have benefitted you? Or, like me were you given the hard sell?

Think about that and take it from there would be my advice. As a side note, I have found Barclays to be extremely helpful in recent times,if you decide to go ahead with a claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure