PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord hasn't discussed or returned deposit almost 2 weeks after vacating property.

Options
2»

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a trainwreck of a landlord, my own flat has had no maintenance, but I am paying bottom of the market prices, you was paying over £1500 for ONE room? That seems insanity, for that price I would expect 5 star hotel type luxury. :)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    DumbMuscle wrote: »
    This is reasonably standard for a change in a single tenant in a houseshare - you pay to the outgoing tenant, they confirm to the TDS that you have done so, the TDS changes the name on the scheme, the landlord pays you back when the overall tenancy ends (or the new tenant pays you if you get replaced). By doing so you're effectively agreeing to take on responsibility for any damage during the previous tenant's stay, but so long as you're happy with that then it's a smooth way to do it.

There have been plenty of threads where that hasn't happened. The incoming tenant pays the outgoing tenant and nothing is updated with TDS or indeed the tenancy agreement. The last tenant standing is up the creek without a paddle.
  • Stakkertoo
    Stakkertoo Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Sounds like a trainwreck of a landlord, my own flat has had no maintenance, but I am paying bottom of the market prices, you was paying over £1500 for ONE room? That seems insanity, for that price I would expect 5 star hotel type luxury. :)

No, it was a 3 bedroom property. The last rent was £1750 for 3 of us, split between us.
  • Stakkertoo
    Options
    saajan_12 wrote: »
    What was signed when you began living there? Legally, either
    1) a previous tenant is subletting to you and they should pay back your deposit, nothing to do with the LL; or
    2) the tenancy was assigned to you via a deed. effectively you step into the shoes of the old tenant, and are bound by the inventory at the start of their tenancy; or
    3) A new tenancy was created. However you haven't paid the LL a deposit..

We signed new tenancy agreements each time there was a new tenant. 2014, 2016 and earlier this year.
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    There have been plenty of threads where that hasn't happened. The incoming tenant pays the outgoing tenant and nothing is updated with TDS or indeed the tenancy agreement. The last tenant standing is up the creek without a paddle.

There have also been plenty of threads where the landlord hasn't done the TDS paperwork properly for a normal tenancy - you just need to check the paperwork has been done, and ensure that you have all the right documents at the end or chase until you do.
  • Stakkertoo
    Options
    I'm happy that the deposit has been secured, I've checked under our 3 names, so that's fine. I'm just frustrated that landlord hasn't been in touch, and the agent say they are chasing him.

No contact has been made, about deductions or otherwise so I'm concerned they are just taking their time to be difficult.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stakkertoo wrote: »
    No, it was a 3 bedroom property. The last rent was £1750 for 3 of us, split between us.

ok thanks for clarifying, I still consider price on the high end tho. I think you was right to not renew, sounds like pure greed from him or he has massive financial problems.
  • Stakkertoo
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    ok thanks for clarifying, I still consider price on the high end tho. I think you was right to not renew, sounds like pure greed from him or he has massive financial problems.

Sadly that's London. The area we're in has rocketed in the last few years, and whilst this property was falling apart (both the downstairs flat and ours), it's sandwiched between other houses that are in the region of £1.5 million. He'd make a packet if he renovated and sold it.

We've moved 450m down the road into a flat above some shops, new bathrooms and kitchen, newly decorated and more central for £1850. Managed to lock the tenancy down for 2 years this time to avoid constant increases. :/
  • Stakkertoo
    Options
    So they responded this morning and are returning the full deposit. Thanks for your help, guys!
  • teffers
    teffers Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's great news.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts