PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Boiler installation, broken asbestos flue left in loft.

Options
Carrying on from my previous thread, I had an asbestos remover come round and have a look at the situation.

As mentioned previously, I was concerned about the casing around the old flue, which looked like plasterboard, containing asbestos. The boiler installer confirmed that it probably was asbestos, but as long as it wasn't disturbed it was ok. He then left the asbestos casing in a disturbed state.

The asbestos remover took samples for analysis, and we both noticed that the casing in the upstairs bedroom leading to the attic had also been cracked.

Biggest shock to come was in the loft, part of the job details was to 'remove existing system and plate-base.' In my loft is 2 meters of old flue attached to the roof, with a broken end where the rest of the flue used to be. There are bits of asbestos concrete all over the loft insulation.

The asbestos remover has encouraged me to spend as little time as possible in the house, until he gets the results of an asbestos test back. Basically, my home has potentially been contaminated with asbestos and I can't sleep there at the moment. He has told me that I could take this further if I wanted; taking action against the heating engineer.

Thankfully I don't have children and I can easily stay with a friend.

On Monday I'm going to have a chat with asbestos watchdog and see what they advise. Maybe the HSE also. I feel I've been done a disservice here, the heating installer has been negligent in his clients safety and his own. I take some of the blame also, 2 of the installers wanted to work with asbestos removers and I chose the one that didn't, believing in his assurance that he knows what he's doing and will leave my house safe.

Not worth cutting corners and saving money with something like this, lesson learned.

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This really doesn't sound good. As mentioned in the previous thread, the flue itself may have been fine if left undisturbed but it was the 'casing' that sounded especially suspicious.

Did the asbestos expert give any indication of timescale for the tests to come back? If possible I would probably delay contacting the HSE etc until after you get the test results. There are materials that look like 'asbestos' but are in fact asbestos free. You should assume asbestos is involved until the tests prove otherwise, but it would be unfortunate to set the ball rolling too fast with HSE until you know what is involved. That said, if asbestos was suspected of being involved the installer probably shouldn't have proceeded with the job without tests being done first.

It really is unfortunate for you, and a lesson for anyone reading this to take on board if they need similar work doing. Hope you are able to get things sorted quickly and safely.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. Test results will be back on Wednesday. Though part of me wants to get on the phone with him now and demand to know why there's a broken asbestos flue section in my attic, its best to remain calm and take it stage by stage.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,710 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2017 at 8:15PM
    Options
    If it is asbestos cement then it is one of the less harmful asbestos types. There are millions of garages with sheet asbestos cement walls and/or corrugated asbestos cement roofs;

Less harmful does not mean not harmful It is still hazardous . So do not be careless or complacent.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • PhilE
    Options
    The casing around the flue which has been damaged, is unfortunately one of the less good types if it does turn out to be asbestos.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is asbestos cement then it is one of the less harmful asbestos types

Just a clarification, which might seem pedantic, but due to the risks involved is justified.

'Asbestos cement' is not a type of asbestos, it is a product containing asbestos.

There are six main types of asbestos with varying levels of risk:
    Chrysotile, Amosite, Crocidolite, Actinolite, Anthophyllite & Tremolite

Asbestos cement products may contain any of the types of asbestos, or a mixture.

Therefore it is possible an asbestos cement product may contain one of the more harmful asbestos types.

It is correct to urge caution, even when dealing with asbestos cement products.

Asbestos insulation board was often used where flat sheets were needed - for example boxing in. This isn't the same as asbestos cement, and may carry a much higher level of risk. The OP was right to get an expert in to advise.
  • PhilE
    Options
    Been on to Citizens Advice, they have given me a template for a letter to write to the trader, also to get a letter from the asbestos remover confirming his advice that I not be at the property, until the situation has been resolved.

Might speak to a lawyer as well, but the first port of call is a letter to the trader and in the meantime get my home safe ASAP.

I'm going to come down on this one as strong as possible, if I'd followed his advice I'd be living in a potentially asbestos contaminated house right now. Thankfully, I didn't spend much time there after the job was 'finished,' and got an asbestos expert round there the following day.

Don't understand this trader, what if there were kids in the house? Wouldn't he care that he might have exposed them to asbestos?
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    Don't understand this trader, what if there were kids in the house? Wouldn't he care that he might have exposed them to asbestos?

I cannot comment on your trader because I don't know anything about them or what they know.

But generally speaking, the usual reasons for people doing unsafe work with asbestos include not being able to identify it as asbestos, not knowing the risks, and unfortunately the 'myth' that asbestos cement products don't need to be treated with equal respect and caution as you would other asbestos products.

It wasn't uncommon to see people using circular saws or angle griders to cut asbestos cement products, even relatively recently... the worker apparently oblivious to the danger in the cloud of dust hanging around them. :(
  • PhilE
    Options
    He confirmed that in his opinion it was asbestos.
  • 8546stannard
    Options
    It is lucky that you haven't got children then. This was a huge issue a few years ago for myself, as I found some insulation in the loft which I wasn't sure on. Turns out it did contain asbestos. A few weeks in my mum's cramped living room was defiantly a bonding experience with the kids.

In my opinion, I would wait for the results but I would defiantly phone some lawyers for some advice. I also rang a few asbestos removal companies and checked out some of their blogs, it defiantly gave me an understanding to asbestos and the dangers around it. I'm sure there is a company called IceAsbestos, that had some good posts on this stuff but also check with your local council.
  • PhilE
    Options
    Yes, very lucky there are no kids in the house. Glad you got your sorted, who did it for you and how long did it take?

Got a test result back today, the boarding that was around the old flue is amosite. Thats what was left in a damaged state when the installer left the house, together with the broken flue section. The asbestos remover who took the sample and sent it off, can remove the remainder of the flue for me and has taped up the damaged boarding.

However he can't remove the asbestos board himself, so he referred me to ARG. They cant come round to give an inspection and quote until 1/6, then apparently it wont be another 2 weeks until they actually remove it.

Im not willing to take any risks with the stuff in the air of my house, so I wont be spending too much time there until I know the air is safe. Cant get any other work done on my house either, which is needed(purchased in March)

This has become a bit of a headache...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport