Induction hob power

Options

Comments

• thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ryder72 wrote: »
    Here are some facts that may help you make a decision.

The ideal hob to get is the 7.2kW one for which you will need a 30A/6mm cable run from the board.

BSH do 2 other models-
    A 13A one which is designed for the replacement market for those moving up from ceramic hobs. The circuitry is designed to cap power draw at 3kW but if you add up the individual rings they are more than 3kW. This means you will be able to run any 2 rings at full power but 3 or more at reduced power. If you do a large bulk of your cooking on 2 rings at any one time, then there is no problem buying this one.

Actually ceramic hobs usually require a 30A feed. AFAIK 13A induction hobs are for people changing from gas and who don't have a cooker circuit and don't want the hassle of electrical work. The 13A rating allows them to run the hob off the ring main. Its all a bit of a bodge if you ask me.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very interesting and informative thread as I am also thinking of getting an induction hob. And for those recommending gas - I do have a gas hob but it seems to be a characteristic of modern gas hobs that they are nowhere near as controllable as they used to be. For controllable, induction is the way to go.

OP who are you going to get to come and look at whether an installation is viable or not? An independent electrician or someone from the shop selling the hob? Like you I don't want to buy one and then find I've bought the wrong thing.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Peter

I have just gone through exactly the same questioning process as you. I rang NEFF who explained, as others have above, that it depends on whether you want to have all the rings on at once, on full power.

Also the prices vary wildly. The model I'm looking as is this one, 6.9 kW:

https://www.johnlewis.com/neff-t46fd53x0-induction-hob-black-glass/p3196211

The same one is also available here for £150 less:

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/t46fd53x0/neff-t46fd53x0-appliances-4-induction-hob-hob#/specs
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The way I would look at it is this.
    If you can afford the extra £150 or so for the higher power hob (and providing that your electrics are suitable), then I would say get the more expensive one.
    You may not need the extra power now but who knows about the future and it's probably better to have the power available and not need it rather than need it and then wish you had spent the extra money.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a 3kw induction hob for exactly the reason stated above, I switched from gas & didn't have suitable wiring to have anything more powerful...just a 13amp socket.

Yes it limits how many rings you can have on full power but in all honesty it isn't any hardship at all, I can't remember the last time I needed all four rings on full power even when I had a gas hob.

Having said that, if you do have or are prepared to have suitable wiring then getting the more powerful model is the way to go... what will do a lot will also do a little.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Jonesya wrote: »
    If you've got a gas supply, then strongly consider a gas hob.

- As controllable than induction.
    - Massively lower running costs - gas @ 3-4p/kWh, electricity @ 10-13p/kWh.
    - Very simple, no complex electronics and power controllers to go wrong.

How much of that gas gets wasted heating the air, the sides of the pan, you as you're cooking. Etc etc.
  • Peter_Lanky
    Peter_Lanky Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Very interesting and informative thread as I am also thinking of getting an induction hob. And for those recommending gas - I do have a gas hob but it seems to be a characteristic of modern gas hobs that they are nowhere near as controllable as they used to be. For controllable, induction is the way to go.

OP who are you going to get to come and look at whether an installation is viable or not? An independent electrician or someone from the shop selling the hob? Like you I don't want to buy one and then find I've bought the wrong thing.
    I am getting an electrician round who's a sort of friend (via a local Facebook group) who has done a few jobs for me, my family and friend for 3 or 4 years now, so what he tells me will be the absolute truth.

To be honest, I'd never considered my old hob to be anything but 13 amp, but now I'm going to have to take a look, which means having to remove the oven to look underneath, as my c1994 instruction manual is too generic. But it is raining, so nothing else to do this afternoon..

From another post, I've never seen a 20 amp hob, but that would be ideal as my oven is rated as 2500W so will only be 10 amp. A little research topic for this afternoon :)
    What is happening to the English Language? These are not isolated, but repeated every day.
    'Definate', 'Aswell', 'Rediculous', 'Payed'...and the best of all 'Could Of'. How can anyone think that 'Could Of' can actually mean anything. You may as well write 'Could Zebra' for all the sense it makes.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This one is 20 amps.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/t36fb41x0g/neff-t36fb41x0g-appliances-4-induction-hob-hob

The person I spoke to at Neff was very helpful, so you could give them a ring before you make your final choice.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One other thing to consider is the type of pans you have, not all pans will work on an induction hob so not only will you be buying a new hob you might be replacing your pots & pans as well
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Peter_Lanky
    Peter_Lanky Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One other thing to consider is the type of pans you have, not all pans will work on an induction hob so not only will you be buying a new hob you might be replacing your pots & pans as well
    I've already got the pans; a bargain I found with a generous discount code 6 months back.
    What is happening to the English Language? These are not isolated, but repeated every day.
    'Definate', 'Aswell', 'Rediculous', 'Payed'...and the best of all 'Could Of'. How can anyone think that 'Could Of' can actually mean anything. You may as well write 'Could Zebra' for all the sense it makes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure