Responding to a crash

Options
One of my holdings (JP Morgan Brazil Investment Trust) fell by almost ten per cent in a single day yesterday, with further falls this morning. Should I get out while it is still worth anything, or double my holding since the Trust is now at a 15 per discount to the value of the shares that it holds?

(The reason seems to be a corruption scandal involving the current president, whom the markets like. So the reforms that he promised are unlikely to happen: but in any case it is a large economy that includes some extremely profitable companies -- as well as Petrobras, which is a total financial disaster on an enormous scale.)

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    IMHO, if you are investing for the long term, and you should be particularly for risky areas like Brazil, then it would be sensible to allocate a relatively small fixed % of your portfolio to that country and maintain that % by rebalancing occasionally, say once a year. Dont buy or sell on short term movements in price. They are irrelevent to the long term investor and you could well get things wrong.

Of course if you have good reason to believe that Brazil is going to collapse, never to rise again, then it may make sense to sell. Investing purely on the basis of an IT discount isnt necessarily a good idea - funds can maintain discounts for years.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Share prices are driven by Testosterone fuelled boys in red braces ;) who over react to good or bad news When they realise what happens to Trump won't make a deal of diffrence to world share prospects prices will stabilise again :)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Maybe the middle ground would be best; don't sell or add but hold what you've already got.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    i would sell. the capital could be put to better use elsewhere. I am personally staying away from EM for now as I think we will see a huge dollar rise over the coming years annihilating EM.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my holdings (JP Morgan Brazil Investment Trust) fell by almost ten per cent in a single day yesterday, with further falls this morning.

A very small movement in a highly volatile area. The fund is capable of 80% losses. In reality, that is all we know. We don't know what is coming next.

So, you either accept the risk and volatility or if you cannot, you pull out. Emerging market corruption is incredibly difficult to predict outcomes on.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If a one day movement is making you consider bailing you are probably invested way above your tolerance for risk
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    To put it in perspective it is still up 35% over the last year despite the recent drop.

As EM are always a roller coaster ride I don't think a 10% movement is anything worth reacting to unless you feel the markets have underestimated the problem.
  • Morphoton
    Morphoton Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I have a holding in BRLA (Black Rock Latin America) which is about 65% in Brazil. This IT has performed very similar to JPB over the past few years. It was down ~8% yesterday but that only takes it back down to what it was last month. So I am not too concerned. I have 4% of my SIPP in BRLA and just rebalance when it gets too high/low. I intend to keep this trust for the foreseeable future. I have been investing in BRLA for +10 years and Latin America for +20 years. A trust like this can easily lose 80%+ peak to trough so it may be advisable for you to review your weighting in JPB if moves like this are above your risk tolerance.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One of my holdings (JP Morgan Brazil Investment Trust) fell by almost ten per cent in a single day yesterday, with further falls this morning. Should I get out while it is still worth anything, or double my holding since the Trust is now at a 15 per discount to the value of the shares that it holds?

(The reason seems to be a corruption scandal involving the current president, whom the markets like. So the reforms that he promised are unlikely to happen: but in any case it is a large economy that includes some extremely profitable companies -- as well as Petrobras, which is a total financial disaster on an enormous scale.)

Before buying such a risky and expensive fund (OMG I suppose you know the charges) you should have known what you would do in a "crash". Owning highly volatile funds puts a lot of pressure on your trades and rebalancing. IMHO no retail investor should own such funds as they are one step removed from gambling. If this was a developed market tracker I'd probably buy more, but who knows with Brazil.

As I have no idea how this fund fits into your overall portfolio and investment plan I can't really say what to do, But as a strategic matter I would not own volatile actively managed funds and concentrate on a UK and developed markets index trackers.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Before buying such a risky and expensive fund (OMG I suppose you know the charges) you should have known what you would do in a "crash". Owning highly volatile funds puts a lot of pressure on your trades and rebalancing. IMHO no retail investor should own such funds as they are one step removed from gambling. If this was a developed market tracker I'd probably buy more, but who knows with Brazil.

As I have no idea how this fund fits into your overall portfolio and investment plan I can't really say what to do, But as a strategic matter I would not own volatile actively managed funds and concentrate on a UK and developed markets index trackers.

I see no problem with Brazil as a long term investment, 20 years perhaps. In those circumstances it isnt ganbling but a reasonable punt on the future. It would be an omission to ignore such parts of the world to focus purely on currently developed markets. But it should held as part of an overall asset allocation and an ongoing portfolio managment strategy.

The one question I would raise is the % allocation to Brazil. Anything more than say 2%-3% would be excessive in my view as there are plenty of other emerging market countries around. And any holding of less than £3K is arguably not worth the effort, so this suggests you need a £100K + portfolio to consider this type of focussed investment. For a smaller portfolio just go for more general EM funds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure