PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Requesting an Unaccompanied 2nd viewing?

Options
When viewing houses I tend to find I spend more time and mental energy having to make polite conversation with the EA showing (following) me round and it proves to be a major distraction from the job in hand of actually looking at the property!

There is now one property that I'm potentially interested in to the point of wanting to arrange a 2nd viewing, would it be unreasonable/unusual/odd to request the viewing be unaccompanied? Just so I can spend a good 15-20 mins in the house (and garden) quietly trying to get a 'feel' for the property and the immediate surroundings?

This particular property is completely empty following a refurb, has been on the market for a long time, over a year, and is only 100 yards away from the EA's office so it shouldn't be too inconvenient for them to meet me there and then pop back 20 minutes later to see me out and lock up.

Is it a reasonable request or would I be regarded as a complete oddball?!:D

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    Is it a reasonable request or would I be regarded as a complete oddball?!:D
    Probably more towards the latter...

I suspect most sellers would prefer buyers to be supervised in some way. That doesn't mean they need to be within arm's length, in my experience it's pretty common for the viewing person from the agents just to hang around in one room and let you wander round. Perhaps just politely drop hints that you'd like to have a look round without constant chat.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    OP would you let someone walk around unaccompanied in your house?...
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    (most) Estate agents are insured for the purpose of viewing, for accidental damages, theft and the like. Unaccompanied, there would be no insurance. However, asking them to sit quietly downstairs while you assess the place shouldn't present a problem. Done something similar, when I asked if one of the older agents could do a viewing, as the younger ones were just so.... loud!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take a partner, friend, builder or just that wierd bloke who always wants to chat to you in the pub!

Then split up. Partner (friend, pub-bloke) keeps EA engaged in conversation downstairs while you have a wander about.

I've done that (yes from both sides - I've been the wierd bloke and helped out a stranger I knew from the pub. Great fun inventing a whole backstory of our relationship - kids and all.)
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    It's not uncommon for EAs to behavi differently on a second viewing than a first. They're more likely to let you wander around yourself the second time.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    At the risk of giving an obvious solution, just tell them what you've told us and ask them to give you some space during the viewing.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    OP would you let someone walk around unaccompanied in your house?...

Yes, when it's "completely empty" as the OP has said. I've viewed several houses without either the EA or vendor present, usually when the vendor is no longer in occupation.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Yes, when it's "completely empty" as the OP has said. I've viewed several houses without either the EA or vendor present, usually when the vendor is no longer in occupation.

That's a fair point, I missed the completely empty part
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, as I said the property is completely empty, doesn't even have carpets, obviously yes it would be a completely unreasonable request in a home full of possessions!
    Although, having said that, when I was last selling I just allowed viewers to wonder round freely and then come back and find me in the living room for any chat and questions.

I have occasionally took my sister along on a couple of previous viewings of other proprieties, partly for a second opinion and partly to try and distract the agent! But she's not very good at it, I just usually end up with her and the agent following me everywhere!

I've never actually been for a 2nd viewing previously so maybe EA's do give you a bit more freedom... I just find on all first viewings the EA's very much hover around, follow you from room to room and generally distract you from really taking anything in.

I think the main reason I'd like a bit of 'quiet time' in the house and garden is to try and assess any potential noise disturbance from attached neighbours and the surrounding properties,
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    That's a fair point, I missed the completely empty part

A viewer could still cause damage to the place even if there's nothing to nick. And sometimes completely empty buildings mysteriously burn down, especially if there's an opportunity to redevelop the land they sit on....

OP - you can ask, but consider what to do if they say no. Personally, I'd be less polite and not make smalltalk - either ignore them, or proactively ask them to shut up as you want to "get a feel for the place".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure