Advice dealing with a hotel refusing free Cancellation option

Options
I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on our options for an issue we are having. We have reserved a room with a hotel in paris for December through booking.com which had 2 offers included - reserve now, pay on arrival and free cancellation until the day before arrival.

Since reserving we have been occasionally checking rates and have found a better deal so obviously wanted to switch but not only will the hotel refuse the cancellation, they have also taken full payment from the account and are refusing to refund it.

I'm fairly certain this isn't legal and have brought it up with booking.com but they're not at all interested and are just telling us it's an issue with the hotel that we have to sort directly?

Has anyone experienced this before and can help us with what our options are or how to proceed?

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you chose the free cancellation?
  • andrewjohnlane
    Options
    Hi yes we chose the option for free cancellation and pay on arrival.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried your credit card company?
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Booking.com are your travel agent - talk to them about it. They'll call the hotel and have WAY more clout than you alone.
  • andrewjohnlane
    Options
    We've tried that but they're denying any responsibility and telling us we need to take it up directly with the hotel but I think that's a cop out by them, just not sure how I can prove it and get them to do something about it.

Will check the credit card route, see if they can help.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    What does your booking confirmation say?
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    What does your booking confirmation say?

Aye. You need to check your email first OP.

I've just found a booking confirmation which I made with booking.com last year and it very clearly states:
    Cancellation policy
    Please note, if cancelled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
    Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property.
    Cancellation cost
    From now on: 369 zł
    This reservation can not be cancelled free of charge.

If yours is worded in a similar way then the answer is tough luck...

If yours is worded in a way which suggests free cancellation (as you are advising) then point this out to booking.com and the hotel. In addition to this, go to your credit card company.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    Put in a written complaint to Booking.com.

If you have a clear confirmation that it states free cancellation, then the hotel were wrong to take your payment, and must abide by the terms - booking.com are able to sort this for you if the hotel won't admit to their error.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have they actually taken the money or just ring fenced it?
  • andrewjohnlane
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm certain we had the free cancellation and pay on arrival options as that's the reason we reserved it but will triple check the confirmation when I get chance.

Payments been taken in full and they're refusing to refund it, booking.com also refusing to do anything about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure