Garage ruined engine when car took in for MOT

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sartois wrote: »
    Ok so we haven't been to the garage yet (meeting them at midday) but it appears I didn't have the full story. A few more facts that she has just revealed before we go down there:

1. The low engine warning light was on when she took the car in and she didn't check the oil when the light came on, instead waiting to take the car to the garage for MOT.
    2. She told the mechanic the oil light was on and said the oil needed changing when she dropped the car in.
    3. The low engine light was on for 2 weeks prior to going for MOT.
    4. Another light was on - the Particulate Filter Cleaning Light.
    5. She actually does less than 1000 miles a year so didn't think it necessary to get the car serviced annually. The last oil change was 3 years ago!
    Ouch to all of the above, but the bold bits are incredible. She really does need some help to teach her how to monitor and look after a car, otherwise she is going to continue to have expensive problems in the future with this or any other car.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The oil pressure warning light switch is set at about 7-8 psi on most engines,when the light comes on when the engine is running you are in trouble as with oil pressure that low your engine is knackered( even more so if you keep on driving )
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    verityboo wrote: »
    The short journeys mean that the DPF regeneration process will not have been able to complete dumping excess unburnt fuel in the sump. That is what causes the oil level to rise as here

http://www.fiatforum.com/500/234789-rising-oil-level.html

Exactly this.

So the engine had a sump full of 3 litres of oil and 2 litres of diesel. :(

Poor car.

Likely now poor owner.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Some use a device to hold the accelerator down when the car is on the ramp...
    A house brick!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    A house brick!

lol

The MOT place I go to uses a rod as described by onomatopoeia99...my E220 CDI holds steady but it does 18 - 25k a year and is fully serviced to scheduled at main dealer...
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So her sump was full of mostly diesel from failed dpf regenerations. The dilution caused low oil pressure... and significant wear over the period she ran it like that.

Now two things:

If they MOTD it first there would actually be a case to have them contribute towards the repair costs as they should have refused the emmissions test with the pressure light on and overfilled sump

If they serviced first bring pressure back up she would be liable for her idiocy
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    EdGasketTheSecond Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 2:18PM
    Options
    idiocy is a bit harsh. Most women I know just get in a car and drive it and know nothing about dpfs, regeneration, and what the lights mean; bless em.

Equally I have no idea how to use the washing machine!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    idiocy is a bit harsh. Most women I know just get in a car and drive it and know nothing about dpfs, regeneration, and what the lights mean; bless em.
    Which is exactly why the Show Me Tell Me part of the driving test has been in place for a decade and a half or so. It's EVERY driver's responsibility to make sure their car is basically roadworthy, and to understand what to do when a problem arises.
    Equally I have no idea how to use the washing machine!
    And you don't find that utterly embarrassing and shameful? You should.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    And you don't find that utterly embarrassing and shameful? You should.

No, it means I don't get asked to do the washing lol.
  • sartois
    sartois Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so we went to the garage but the owner was not there as called away for emergency in wales :/

We did chat to one of the mechanics involved though and I am more and more inclined to think my friend has a case...although I'm biased so would appreciate any neutral opinions.

So firstly she did point out the oil warning light and told them about the oil needing changing. The mechanic has now denied this and says the warning light was not on, so carried out the mot without addressing the oil issue.

The issue was indeeed a diesel runaway and they did catch it before the engine went up in smoke so not likely the engine needs replacing, but they are waiting on tooling to get a full picture.

The fact the mechanic is prepared to lie raises alarm bells for me that he knew he was in the wrong in some way.

From what I've read the issue would have not happened if they had addressed the issue of changing the oil before doing the mot which appears to have been confirmed in my mind by not being honest about the warning light.

So now waiting for the owner calls back but probably won't happen till Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure