Options
2»

Comments

• basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2017 at 3:41PM
    Options
    The vet told me Advantage was now available without prescription. so must have done at some time.
    It must be considered suitable for the public to buy and use. Similar to Zantac, launched as a prescription drug but now available over the counter.
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My vet does me a prescription for 12 units of Advocate and it costs me £10 for the prescription. I then buy it online and save a nice little amount each time (I have 2 cats but he does the prescription for 12 months at a time in one cat's name). I will save even more if it now doesn't need a prescription!

I couldn't believe my vet was charging double what it was online. Presumably they are doing this with drugs that my Petplan insurance pays for as well. I could potentially save Petplan money if I bought the drugs online, but I don't think they support that process.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My vet does me a prescription for 12 units of Advocate and it costs me £10 for the prescription. I then buy it online and save a nice little amount each time (I have 2 cats but he does the prescription for 12 months at a time in one cat's name). I will save even more if it now doesn't need a prescription!

I couldn't believe my vet was charging double what it was online. Presumably they are doing this with drugs that my Petplan insurance pays for as well. I could potentially save Petplan money if I bought the drugs online, but I don't think they support that process.

Yeah, I knew vets charged a lot but I didn't realise how much until I got pets. They have a great business going on as they know how much Brits love their pets and will part with their cash to keep them healthy. Some of their prices are utterly outrageous but until people stop paying them, they'll carry on.

So you get a 12 month prescription for £10? Wow. Ours charges £12 for a either 1 or 3 months (not sure as never got one).

Where are you able to get Advocate 80 online without a prescription?
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »

Where are you able to get Advocate 80 online without a prescription?

Advantage is available without prescription, have edited my post.
  • CP26
    CP26 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My vet charges £9 for a prescription. I just got one for a 6 month supply of Advocate and then bought it online via vet medic for almost half the price of what my vet charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure