PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting impossible HELP!!

Options
hi

We have been trying to rent a property in a city in midlands and it is proving rather difficult to find any accommodation. the properties go very quick. HOW ELSE CAN SOMEONE GET A RENTAL PROPERTY. I HAVE BEEN ON EVERY ONLINE PLACE TO SEARCH EVERY SINGLE DAY. STILL NOTHING. PICTURES THAT ARE DISPLAYED ARE USUALLY OLD (WHICH MAKES THE PROPERTY LOOK LOVELY) AND YET IN CURRENT DAY THE PROPERTY CONDITION IS NOT AS ADVERTISED.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 6:34AM
    Options
    It sounds to me as if you have expectations higher than your ability to pay. Much of the Midlands is reasonably priced, relative to other parts of the UK, although demand there has improved recently, with an effect on prices.

However, let's focus on you, rather than vague problems with the entire Midlands rental market; in what area(s) are you looking, what sort of place do you need, how much can you pay per month, what sort of money can you offer up-front, what's your credit score, what are your references like and have you any pets?

Those will do for a start, because along with whether you are employed or not, they are the sort of questions which any rental agency or landlord will be asking.

P.S. No need to shout in here. None of us is deaf on the internet.
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    Being brutally honest it sounds like you are wanting a top house for a low price. When these do pop up they tend to go quickly
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    I live in a city where houses go quickly. I made appointments to view 3 on one day. After seeing the second one and knowing it was nice and right for us we straight away went into the letting agents and put our deposit down.
    Maybe you need to try do a few in one day? and be prepared to only view it once and put the money down asap.
    Also perhaps lower your expectations? Our house has mould when we viewed it and its a terrace with no parking but the cost and location out-weigh its bad points.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maedei, just as you like a quiet life, its vital you recognise that Letting Agents and Landlords also want a quiet life, after all we have enough stress without adding to it.

Why am I mentioning this?

Because a prospective tenant gives off a vibe. Some instantly scream 'agro / stress'. If I meet / get a call from such a prospect I run a mile - I have my own stresses in life, I don't want the additional stress of a needy / awkward / less than capable tenant who will cause me hassle down the line

In summary you need to look and sound like the perfect tenant.

TIP - nothing puts me off more than someone that mumbles down the phone and has an air of entitlement - they give you little detail and don't speak in a cogent lucid manner. This type of personality is likely to give hassle as their whole lax attitude will feed into their actions as a tenant - for example cannot be bothered to open windows to avoid condensation - they expect the world to do everything for them. This personality type may well form relationships with those of a similar transient, careless attitude and thus their lived experience could be one of chaos and complexity.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maidei wrote: »
    hi

We have been trying to rent a property in a city in midlands and it is proving rather difficult to find any accommodation. the properties go very quick. HOW ELSE CAN SOMEONE GET A RENTAL PROPERTY. I HAVE BEEN ON EVERY ONLINE PLACE TO SEARCH EVERY SINGLE DAY. STILL NOTHING. PICTURES THAT ARE DISPLAYED ARE USUALLY OLD (WHICH MAKES THE PROPERTY LOOK LOVELY) AND YET IN CURRENT DAY THE PROPERTY CONDITION IS NOT AS ADVERTISED.

I am not quite sure what you mean by the pictures are old and the property looks different when you see it? You have to remember that a landlord does not want to have vacant properties and also that current tenants do not like having their belonging photographed and put onto websites to advertise a property to let so of course the photos will not be of taken while the current tenant is living there. This is why you have to view the property.

If you are saying that when you view a property you don't like the accommodation on offer or the decoration then you are probably looking in the wrong price bracket? Don't forget you can always ask your landlord if they will allow you to decorate the house.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're looking online, but are you only being reactive? Or are you being proactive, talking to lettings agents, and generally making YOU the person they call first when something new comes on?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP can we have less of the capitals.
  • maidei
    maidei Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    i dont understand what you mean by your comment, you sound like we've met before? what makes you think im what you are describing?
  • maidei
    Options
    the amount of viewings for one property by various people, the landlord looks at say 8 applicants and chooses one. or in other scenario the letting agents tell you they can not get hold of the LL to make a decision then they go quiet after the house is taken by someone else. I'm thinking putting my concern here was not a good idea? (not to you directly) but from some of the comments here
  • maidei
    Options
    as you can imagine, I cant disclose all the personal details you are asking (maybe its a question that does not require an answer. I work a FT job with good pay so I know i can get good ref check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure