IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NE Parking and Gladstones

Options
Hi,
Can anyone help with advice for me and my wife.

She received a Notice to keeper from NE Parking (in March) and wrote back to them by email stating that she didn't believe the alleged parking charge was correct. They've ignored her email and put Gladstones on to her seeking to recover a "debt".

Having got some advice via a work colleague's friend who is a solicitor we again wrote to both companies to dispute the charge and asked for evidence that parking hasn't been paid for. NE Parking rejected the letter and said it was in the hands of Gladstones who in turn sent Court Claim papers to us seeking over £200 in charges.

My wife uses the car park all the time for parking for work and is adamant she paid but doesn't have the ticket as hey sent the NTK seven weeks after the event and she had cleaned out her car. She normally keeps a months worth of tickets just for his reason.

Should we challenge this further or not? Obviously we're worried about the cost of fighting this maybe not winning.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Obviously we're worried about the cost of fighting this maybe not winning.

Max about £200 - £230. If she has tickets from earlier then show these to the court. Will simply come down to a) who the court believes and b) who blinks first.

It's a simple case of hassling people to see who will pay out - irrespective of the facts of the case which they make up anyway.

If you don't want the hassle then pay up in the knowledge you are being scammed.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    ... is adamant she paid but doesn't have the ticket as they sent the NTK seven weeks ...

They may have a problem with this. have you read the stickies?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • jfh72
    jfh72 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No I've not but will have a look at the Stickies now.

She's got tickets from around the time since she received the NTK. We're happy to pay the usual parking fees she pays if she hasn't paid, about £5, not trying to park for free! We've asked for any evidence that they have eg cctv, but they won't entertain it saying its outside the appeal window but the original email we sent wasn't outside their appeal window
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jfh72 wrote: »
    No I've not but will have a look at the Stickies now.

She's got tickets from around the time since she received the NTK. We're happy to pay the usual parking fees she pays if she hasn't paid, about £5, not trying to park for free! We've asked for any evidence that they have eg cctv, but they won't entertain it saying its outside the appeal window but the original email we sent wasn't outside their appeal window

You have proof that your wife actually does pay to park so highly doubtful she would miss one day well knowing the rules of the car park.
    Nobody would expect a person to retain the receipt for as long as 7 weeks ?
    It will be up to the judge to decide on the probability that she paid
    The parking company must be able to prove beyond doubt that she did not pay

I assume with the ticket machine, you type in the reg number and if so, it would be ANPR that was used, not CCTV
    ANPR checks a car in and out but as shown many times, ANPR is not reliable. Ticket machines also fail to register

Gladstones themselves are incompetent and the courts know
    this

Read up about Gladstones and their antics
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=gladstones
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope she hasn't said who was driving, in any contact?

She needs to read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread and defend this claim as per the info there.

When IamEmanresu says £200 costs if a person loses, that means £200 ALL TOLD - less than they are claiming, I expect. And we almost never see anyone lose. I can't recall a Gladstones one lost after any poster stayed here for advice from start to finish and did everything advised.

NONE LOST that I can recall, and no risk in defending. Worst case scenario is: the keeper might be told to pay. No CCJ, no big deal.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jfh72
    Options
    Thanks everyone that has responded so far.

Coupon-mad, she did say she paid for the parking but didn't say that she was driving. I'm the only other registered driver for the car.

Quite happy to share letters/emails with anyone who could help or give us advice if possible. The clock started ticking on the Court Claim yesterday.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    You should show a link here, defendants here have nothing to hide and it's best to get several of us to see it. Many of us don't take pm's (I am too busy at work).
  • jfh72
    Options
    Thanks Coupon.

How do I add a link? I can take photos of the letters/documents but can't see how I upload them (using an iPad if that makes a difference).

Think we'll head down to Citizens Advice in the morning. Need to know where we stand with having the case heard in Northampton, can we get it moved to somewhere nearer Blackpool.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Coupon.

How do I add a link? I can take photos of the letters/documents but can't see how I upload them (using an iPad if that makes a difference).

Think we'll head down to Citizens Advice in the morning. Need to know where we stand with having the case heard in Northampton, can we get it moved to somewhere nearer Blackpool.

USE a free hosting site like photobucket to upload
    Then when you get the link post it here and change http to hxxp
    and we will make it live
    Remember to hide ALL personal info.
    Best to use a laptop/computer to do this

Don't waste your time with the CAB, they do not have a clue about the parking industry.

The very best help and advice is available here

Yes, you can get it changed to your local court
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Think we'll head down to Citizens Advice in the morning.

Please don't bother...they are clueless on private parking cases. We are not.

Need to know where we stand with having the case heard in Northampton, can we get it moved to somewhere nearer Blackpool.
    Seriously? Why ask the clueless CAB about such a simple thing?

You only had to Google basic small claims info (reading a Which? article or a YouGov or HMRC page of info about defending a small claim) or read the info in the NEWBIES thread here, post #2. All cases where a consumer individual is the defendant, of course go to the consumer's local court (if the claimant is a company).

It would have taken you two minutes to Google that to find the answer (because Northampton is merely the central processing point for MCOL). Or you could find the answer in the NEWBIES thread post #2 all about these small claim defences.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure