Personal Cloud

Options
13»

Comments

• were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 6:38AM
    Options
    I would consider 4 me http://www.freenas.org/for-home/ would be the way to go using software raid and zfs. There is also nas4free too, which may also do the job. One of these on an a HP cube type server with an atom cpu -cheap to power. Search his forum for zfs

or buy a dedicate system like synology

That cloud company goes broke, or you forget to pay, that data may vanish for even. On the other hand if your house gets burgled, bombed or burnt, data stored externally is great too. Use both ways
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sad old git adding his worthless 2d worth
    So as I understand For business use, NO NO definitely NO, do not expose your files to the Internet, for backup use, do NOT expose them on the Internet , are you following the CAPITAL letters thus far;) If you want to access the cat/grandkids/unmentionable pics use dropbox/google drive/iCloud or similar. If you really want to expose other files out there encrypt then first and then access them with your own private key...easy with the same platform , not so with most portable platforms.
    If you want a backup solution don't leave it on your home systems permanently, and certainly don't leave them on the WWW unless encrypted.

Thank you, the photos etc will be accessible by family but the business files will be encrypted and passworded.

I have run out of space on the free platforms.

It will be off overnight and any other time when we do not need to access it from outside the home. Might even use one of those on/off switches accessible over the internet.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you, the photos etc will be accessible by family but the business files will be encrypted and passworded.

I have run out of space on the free platforms.

It will be off overnight and any other time when we do not need to access it from outside the home. Might even use one of those on/off switches accessible over the internet.

Is that including the 100gb free service on the other cloud thread here?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72575932#post72575932

I've signed up for the free version but I am aware of some security issues.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use Dropbox but don't feel happy to use it for any sensitive/financial docs because it's stored unencrypted within Dropbox's network.

So been looking at Boxcryptor and similar, which should give seamless access from mobile and PC devices but Dropbox (and the hackers that target Dropbox) will never have the decryption key.

Any thoughts? Could be an alternative to a personal Cloud? Don't want to hijack this thread so may open my own.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    I back up some business files in Dropbox, but I put them in an encrypted volume with Veracrypt before I upload them.

I'm hoping that makes them relatively safe, but I'm still unsure if it's a good idea?
    But it seems to me it's the most convenient way to keep an off-site backup that can be updated every day.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Veracrypt can work with Dropbox between PCs I've experimented with it too.
    But being able to deal with your data with phones & tablets too would be a boon.

I see you've got an appropriate username!
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Veracrypt can work with Dropbox between PCs I've experimented with it too.
    But being able to deal with your data with phones & tablets too would be a boon.

I see you've got an appropriate username!

Veracrypt doesn't have a mobile app, but there are third party apps that support Veracrypt volumes in Android and iOS.
    https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=android%20%26%20ios%20support
    Think they have their limitations though? Never tried them myself.

Haven't tried Boxcryptor, but sounds like it might meet your needs better.
    Sounds like the free version only supports two devices though, so you might need to pay?
    https://www.boxcryptor.com/en/

Username just a coincidence. I don't need to encrypt my box as it's got nothing in it. :D
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This describes the software that can be used to set up a cloud easily with Windows: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/build-your-own-personal-cloud-server-3378792/ . Can use a built in drive or external drive and if you like you can add a cheap small Windows PC that doesn't use much power to keep it available when your main one isn't on.

Since it's all just normal Windows you're not stuck if a proprietary cloud server box fails, you can just move the drive to another PC and carry on as before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure