Options
124»

Comments

• Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    There is no fluoride in Marvis toothpaste either, so another useless for decay prevention.

I think I understand what you mean, but to be clear, useless seems to suggest they're no better than not brushing your teeth at all! Surely it's not that bad?

Anyway, I like fluoride paste - but not the foamy ones. Detergent gives me a bad stomach, even small amounts. Fortunately, some are detergent free. I like ultradex. The flavour of those is also milder than others I've tried too. Generally, some amount of chemically/minty is hard to avoid though.

I'm not sure about pastes with microbeads. Could you end up with microbeads stuck in your gums? I don't know, but I'm sure I don't want to find out...
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ben84 wrote: »
    I think I understand what you mean, but to be clear, useless seems to suggest they're no better than not brushing your teeth at all! Surely it's not that bad?

Anyway, I like fluoride paste - but not the foamy ones. Detergent gives me a bad stomach, even small amounts. Fortunately, some are detergent free. I like ultradex. The flavour of those is also milder than others I've tried too. Generally, some amount of chemically/minty is hard to avoid though.

I'm not sure about pastes with microbeads. Could you end up with microbeads stuck in your gums? I don't know, but I'm sure I don't want to find out...

The main point of brushing your teeth is to prevent gum disease - not to prevent decay.

Gum disease happens when bacteria & various proteins build up on your teeth to form plaque. Plaque triggers an inflammatory response from the gums and that inflammatory resposnse brings about the various stages of gum disease from the early mild gum bleeding of gingivitis progressing right through to the bone distruction and tooth loss of advanced periodontitis!

Cleaning the plaque off effectively stops this.

If there is fluoride in the toothpaste, then this also has a protective effect on the tooth enamel and helps prevent decay. In fact the biggest reason for the drop in decay over the past 40 odd years has been fluoride in toothpaste.

However - the best way to prevent decay is still by regulating the frequency that you have sugar. And if someone is a grazer, snacker or consumer of sugary drinks quite frequently, then they are going to have a problem with tooth decay that no amount of toothbrushing is going to solve.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    *~Zephyr~* wrote: »
    I can't use that stuff. I LOVED how clean it made my teeth feel, but within a day or two of using it the skin in my mouth was literally peeling off in sheets. It was vile.

Me too. My mouth was raw and felt burnt. There were blisters inside my lips. It was awful! Only with the pro-expert stuff though. I love the other oral-b toothpastes.

OP, my old dentist once told me that the main cleaning comes from the act of brushing, not the toothpaste. You'll obviously miss out on the fluoride though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure