I dont like toothpaste

Options

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Euthymol has an abrasive index far above that recommended. It's good for cleaning bathroom grouting but not teeth as it will wear enamel away. It also has no fluoride.
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Lots of ideas to check out, many thanks.
    OH! Aloe vera toothpaste, does anyone use it?
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • brook2jack
    Options
    Most, if not all, aloe vera toothpastes do not contain fluoride so are no good for decay prevention. Also there is no proper peer reviewed research to show aloe vera has any health benefits in the mouth.
  • alexthp
    alexthp Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 May 2017 at 8:50AM
    Options
    Whats called, Sensodine that is good if found in any toothpaste, it is good for all teeth diseases......

:)
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    Euthymol has an abrasive index far above that recommended. It's good for cleaning bathroom grouting but not teeth as it will wear enamel away. It also has no fluoride.

I did not know this - thank you :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Presumably oral-b pro-expert will be quite nice and not minty, once they have had to remove the nasty small plastic beads from the recipe.

I can't use that stuff. I LOVED how clean it made my teeth feel, but within a day or two of using it the skin in my mouth was literally peeling off in sheets. It was vile.

There's a lot about it online. Some people have said that the peeling stops after a few weeks, but others have complained that the peeling gets so bad their mouth starts to bleed!.

Wish I could use it because I hear great things about how good it is for teeth, but its back to Colgate Cavity Protection for me :D
  • brook2jack
    Options
    To be honest with the exception of toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and high fluoride toothpastes available on prescription, there is no toothpaste that is better than another , its up to personal choice.

Whitening toothpastes do not whiten , they are abrasive and may scrape away stain but that is all.

Effective cleaning with tepes etc is used to treat gum disease , the toothpastes which claim to do this are no better than ordinary toothpastes.

Effective cleaning stops tartar build up , not a special toothpaste.

No toothpaste can rebuild enamel in any way visible to the naked eye.

Most toothpaste branding is a miracle of marketing with very little peer reviewed research to back it up.
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    *~Zephyr~* wrote: »
    I can't use that stuff. I LOVED how clean it made my teeth feel, but within a day or two of using it the skin in my mouth was literally peeling off in sheets. It was vile.

There's a lot about it online. Some people have said that the peeling stops after a few weeks, but others have complained that the peeling gets so bad their mouth starts to bleed!.

Wish I could use it because I hear great things about how good it is for teeth, but its back to Colgate Cavity Protection for me :D

The exact same thing happened to me, it was horrible.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    sstevo19 wrote: »
    The exact same thing happened to me, it was horrible.

Me too. loved the taste and feel - but like using sandpaper on your gums after a few days. I only tried it as samples were given away by my hygienist!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So use salt, soot, bicarb of soda or make your own tooth powder (usually contains bicarb but additional herbs like cloves mean a different taste & plenty effective! As in your mouth feels clean [but you are wearing your teeth down as you go].)
    A brush is not mandatory - a damp cloth can carry the powder as can a fingertip.

When you tire of living history, do find a toothpowder with fluoride?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure