Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Options

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    All I can say in conclusion is that their standards must be terribly low.

Put simply, Starling rely on a third party provider - GPS - to process their card payments. Unfortunately GPS is not fully reliable, so they do experience problems. Monzo used to use GPS on it's prepaid card (they no longer use it), and they had the same problems. Revolut still uses GPS too.

I imagine Starling are trying to get off GPS. Until then I would be cautious about having them as your only card too.
  • JayRo3
    Options
    I love Starling Bank - I've never had any issues and their customer support team are very prompt at replying.

I've been able to budget better using the goals and I find the app seamless.

As others have said, you're unlikely to find a bank who hasn't suffered tech issues. Halifax and Barclaycard used to prevent transactions abroad all the time, despite me alerting them before I went. Caxton used to allow one of every 5 cash withdrawals so I'm happy so far and don't see me switching banks, unless it's to another challenger/fin-tech bank.
  • daisy_jean
    Options
    I've been with Starling a few weeks now. Been great so far, credit interest a bonus (not much but better than most!).

However... We went to Scarborough this weekend. Sat on the beach for a couple of hours, we needed refreshments but I had no cash. No worries, most of the arcades have free to use cash machines in them I thought. I tried 3 - all declined my Starling card despite having more than enough funds on. Reactions varied from the simple declined to 'error in issuing'. None took off my actual balance.

Ended up having to trail up into the town to 'regular' cash machines - tested 3 of them (big bank names) and all 3 allowed me to take cash out (from available balance). Bit narked if I'm honest, but not sure what could be done about it.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JayRo3 wrote: »
    As others have said, you're unlikely to find a bank who hasn't suffered tech issues. Halifax and Barclaycard used to prevent transactions abroad all the time, despite me alerting them before I went. Caxton used to allow one of every 5 cash withdrawals so I'm happy so far and don't see me switching banks, unless it's to another challenger/fin-tech bank.

So therefore when we use a card at an ATM or pay for a purchase with a card or even pay for a meal in a restaurant with a card we should expect the card to be declined and if it isn't it's a pleasant surprise? Personally, I call that ridiculous.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    So therefore when we use a card at an ATM or pay for a purchase with a card or even pay for a meal in a restaurant with a card we should expect the card to be declined and if it isn't it's a pleasant surprise? Personally, I call that ridiculous.

It would be ridiculous, but that's not what anybody is saying. You're wilfully misinterpreting replies on here.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is what they said
    JayRo3 wrote: »
    This is what I said
    Anthorn wrote: »
    This is what Earthboy said
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    It would be ridiculous, but that's not what anybody is saying. You're wilfully misinterpreting replies on here.

I'm not "wilfully misinterpreting it at all". It is clear that it is stated that we are not going to find a bank which is free of errors so we must just accept it. That's an interpretation but not a misinterpretation!
  • JayRo3
    Options
    You must have time on your hands.

All banks have tech issues, so I wouldn't leave Starling because of a glitch or two. That is the point I was making. And besides, it's my bank account and my opinion. You can be pleasantly surprised by whatever you like.
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 October 2018 at 12:08AM
    Options
    Question,

Are Starling now reporting to all three CRAs ?

Or is it just still Call Credit and Equifax ?

Also if you don't take the overdraft, there's no hard credit check correct ?

(And if you don't take the overdraft does that influence who they report to ?)
    Thanks
    JG
  • its_all_over
    Options
    Starling Bank customers can now use the Post Office for making cash deposits or withdrawals.

Reported by Starling Bank on Twitter that the service is available from tomorrow.

There is also a report in the Telegraph
    The Post Office has signed a deal with a mobile-only bank for the first time amid concerns branch closures and a drop in free cash machines are leaving those in remote areas vulnerable.

Starling Bank, which was set up four years ago, has become the first digital bank to pair up with the Post Office so that customers living in rural areas or "bank branch deserts" can deposit and withdraw cash.

Link is https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/11/09/post-office-moves-tackle-bank-branch-deserts-amid-mp-probe-finance/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Email from Starling
    As of today, you can deposit and withdraw cash to and from your Starling account from any of the Post Office’s 11,500 branches nationwide. The stats show that 99.7% of people live within just three miles of a Post Office branch*, so for most people it’ll end up being even more convenient than a traditional bank branch.

Post Office deposits and withdrawals only work with our new portrait card, so if you don't have one, get in touch with Customer Service and they’ll help you get your card reissued. Make sure you activate the card within the app before you start using it (and bear in mind that this will deactivate your current card).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure