Kids in flats

Options

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    In an ideal world, kids shouldnt live in flats. They need space.

I do so agree with you Judi - but sadly the ideal world is still a galaxy away :-(
    :(
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It's one thing if they are doing it during the day, normal hours for children to reasonably be up and doing children antics like that. However if they are like the children above us and doing so at 10pm+ when not only they should be alseep but we have 'noise laws' in this block of flat it's another. If the second I feel for you as we have that nearly every night despite people, not just us, complaining. They also put their washer/drier on at that time, fair enough but they use the highest spin which is obviously the reason the children can't sleep, and so play, as very loud.
    If late complain to the flat complex people (can't think of the correct term) as you should have that.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Options
    Try living in the country next to a field full of sheep.They baa and meh and bleat and smell all day and night.

Bliss compared to cows and horses!.

The sundown/dawn chorus of flatulence is quite something! :eek:
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    I do so agree with you Judi - but sadly the ideal world is still a galaxy away :-(
    :(
    Living in a flat is the norm in large parts of the world (including much of Western Europe).
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    debrag wrote: »
    I have nothing against kids living in flats, they have to live somewhere, but surely they can't just act like kids while indoors!

There's a family with one baby and one toddler, they don't live directly above us but they sure as do sound like they do. It's not all day every day thank god but it sounds like the kid is constantly jumping off furniture and running around. The parents do nothing, in fact they join in!

Most people will just say they are 'just being kids' but they can go outside and do that I'm glad I'm not directly below them. It's a very small 2 bed flat and no kids above 5 live in the blocks so I can only hope that they move out some time soon.

If the kid above us runs around or screams etc then she gets told off, but the other family do nothing.

I have lived in flats on estates and have had families with children of all ages living one time or another directly above me. Some have been very quiet and not a sound even during school holidays and others that shout/scream and yell from the moment they get up until bedtime. I do except that it can be annoying when all you want is peace and quiet for a few hours but they are children and unlike when I was young and people knew each other well playing outside was safe as there was always someone making sure the children were safe.
    These days MOST blocks of flats and estates people hardly speak or even know the people that live around them so the risk of playing outside is more than many parents are willing to risk. If it is not for the vague chance of being abducted then the risk {real or believed} of getting into gangs/drugs or the wrong type of people puts of the chance for children today to enjoy themselves the way I did.
    Times {unfortunately } have changed and IMO not for the better but children need to "let off steam" and if that means that others around them suffer as others have said your choice is to move but try to remember back when you were a child and except the point that all families as not the same so live and let live:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    live and let live:)

But the point is .... the noisy family AREN'T letting others live.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options

Nothing from the OP to indicate that they, or nearer neighbours, have ever spoken to this family about the noise. Perhaps they have no idea that they are causing a nuisance and will be mortified when they realise how much they have annoyed others.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options

Perhaps not but unless you want TOTAL SEGREGATION between people with children {noisy or not} then there is no choice.
    It IMO is a sorry world now that we as children could run the streets screaming our lungs out and BE CHILDREN yet today unless they are seen and not heard {and if possible not seen or heard} then someone will end up complaining.
    I must admit I am not the most tolerant of people at times but do except that {as I stated} there are now very few places/areas that parents feel their children can go and play as they choose safely:sad:
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    In an ideal world, kids shouldnt live in flats. They need space.

I would amend that to 'kids shouldn't live in small flats if they spend all of their time indoors'. There are plenty of flats larger than houses and many families who do live in small flats make use of the garden or public spaces to give the kids all the space they need.
  • keithmac
    keithmac Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    We made sure we had a suitable house before deciding to have children and they have had plenty of use out of the back garden over the years!.

My 10 year old goes out on his own now locally, I wasn't overly into the idea to start with but you've got to give them some freedom!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure