PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 11 May 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 11 May 2017 at 6:20AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 11 May 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, sun coming out too, hoping for another day like yesterday, was so lovely here, washing got line dried and it was really warm in the afternoon after a chilly start.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta in creme fraiche sauce, menfolk had a breaded chicken portion too. Not sure what we will be eating tonight, as didn't look at menu plan and didn't get anything out of the freezer, so i'll sort that out later.

Yesterday work was better, we had systems, but they weren't restored until 9.20pm Tuesday night, work was quite busy and phones were ringing off the hooks too, but I'd rather be busy than not enough to do. I'm now on days' off but am working Saturday, so I need to get as much done today as possible, as always there's a big "to do" list. I'll be heading into town first thing to visit the bank and building society, then I'll call in at the butchers and see what I can get for dinner. I'll then get cracking with the housework, washing, drying and ironing etc.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

The clouds are just clearing, looks like it'll be another lovely day. Yesterday wasn't as warm but sunny all the same.

Chimney swept, the chap doesn't make any mess at all but I'll have a dust around later anyway.

Swim, work, early dinner with a colleague then I'm going to see DD, she's having a bad time with her job so is looking for something else. Just going to give her a hug and be a listening ear really.

Anyway, have a lovely day, take care. XX
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    AAARRRGGGHH, right I've got that off my chest, phew.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Nor quite so bright here but may brighten up later on, off to work for me day four of seven so a loooooonnnnggg week.

Something and chips for dinner to tonight will go and look in the freezer after this. I need to wash some work t-shirts tonight too as I don't have enough for the week.

Interesting comments re the earths child books, I can not put them down but I have only just started re reading the second one so will see what the later ones are like. LW I must admit I cant remember pages and pages of s*x scenes but maybe ive blanked those bits out :rotfl:

Need to empty the dw before work and have a tidy round of the kitchen.

The re- mortgage is all going through I spent a lot of last night pulling out paperwork that the chap needs, just waiting for one more thing to be sent through the post and will then send it to him, Im getting very excited for the work to begin :D

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 11 May 2017 at 7:15AM
    Options
    Morning :wave: :wave:

Dumpling well done you thats a mahoooosive weight loss :j
    HH hope you are ok chick
    Karcher good to see you hows life love?

Another gorgeous day here..wandered around the house to try and fill a wash as it will be dry in a couple of hours with this sunshine :)

Book club was lots of fun last night ...its a great group of girls and by the time we have made a hole in the prosecco that everyone brings then the book just seems to be far less important :o Food was lovely - chilli garlic bread and salads one of my favourites. This month we are reading He said She said by Erin Kelly (she wrote the original Broadchurch apparently)

Visiting Dad and some work today. Judi I asked for a clinical review with the consultant so that I can stress how concerned we are but they couldn't fit us in till Monday ..better than nothing I guess. Thanks again for all your kind thoughts they really are appreciated

Mums gardener was a massive success...he did an hour and half and really tidied it up back to "Dad standard" I think mum was a little taken by him as she gave him a tip of ten pounds :eek: I did say she shouldn't have done it but actually she said "well he will always look after me now " so maybe there is method in her madness.

Food today will be something cold ...maybe caesar salad or tuna nicoise. Need to tidy the spare room today too as a friend is staying on Saturday and it currently has a bed wardrobe which needs sorting.

Have a great day everyone and enjoy the last day of sun this week
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

A lovely bright sunny start to the day here and the forecast is for a sunny warm day.

Hester, nmlc and Camelot, ancient of days. I hope that things are better for you all at work today.
    Dumpling Congratulations on the weight loss. I hope that things start to improve for your daughter soon now that there is some help in place.
    Specky What a lovely thoughtful thing for your aunt to do. Your whole family sound really lovely, and I’m sure that you deserve it because you come across as a really caring person.
    Nelski I hope that they have sorted out the stomach feeding tube for your dad so that he starts to get some nutrition soon.
    Jackie I hope that the tooth isn’t giving you too much pain, there is nothing worse than dental pain. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear up the infection quickly for you.

((hugs to everyone else who is poorly and has troubles/worries at the moment).

Dinner last night was cod in a parsley and crème fraiche sauce with steamed veg. I had fancied a salad but the veg needed to be used up so decided to stick with my original plan.

Tonight it will be something with a salad; I need to have a dig around in the freezer to decide what in a minute.

I am going to go and volunteer on reception again this morning, and then I have a collection to pick up from the Wilko in town on my way home. It is only some cheap ramekins that they didn’t have in store so nothing exciting.

If it is a nice sunny afternoon I am going to chill in the garden with a book, I have so been looking forward to some nice weather; I just find it makes things seem so much brighter. Yesterday I had a nice hour or so wandering around the local park, which is massive. I still live in fear of getting lost!

I hope that everyone has as good a day as possible.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Sunny with blue skies here in EA, it's meant to warm up as well, yesterday was glorious and I got to spend a lot of the day outside.

Bed has been stripped and sheets are in the WM, other than that have nothing much to wash as more or less caught up yesterday, the dogs bedding can go in as I always like to do a cleansing wash afterwards.
    I am meeting up with an ex work colleague this afternoon for a cuppa at our local farm shop, haven't seen her since last Autumn so have a lot to catch up on, we worked in the same department and she retired more or less at the same time that I was made redundant.

Haven't heard of the earth child books but will have a look, I do like a good series you can get your teeth into :)

Hope the poorlies are feeling better, have a good day all x
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,043 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Cloudy here with a hint of sun so far. Yesterday was decidedly chilly.

I did a bit of pottering around my small garden and planted out two new arrivals. There's six more new plants to come so I need to plan a bit better. One is a climbing hydrangea for the north wall so I have to start the hole as I'm sure it'll take some doing. My growing potatoes and flowering clematis are giving me huge pleasure.

This morning I have the truculent teens again, only three more weeks to go so I think they are feeling the stress.

I took some yummy high meat /low carb sausages out of the freezer last night. This morning I have the remainder of an avocado and will make a couple of poached eggs.

Perhaps I'd better start to move! Happy Thursday everyone.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning everyone, and today looks like its going to be bright and sunny for a change :) the forecast is good, with a high of 18c and from my window looking out I can see the River Medway very clearly (always a good sign for good weather :))

This morning my gardener Mick will come and give the garden a good mow and weed. He is the best money I spend every month as my joints won't let me bend as well as I used to anymore :) but I do like to see it looking neat and tidy.

Yesterday U3A meeting was excellent and I really enjoyed it.One of my friends there gave me a big box of biscuits for my DGS as she's been diagnosed as diabetic and didn't want to temptation in her house :)

Nelski What a great book club I go to the local library one and we get a cup of tea and a biscuit if we are lucky :):):) Prosecco sounds much more exciting :):):)

I have started knitting the poppies for the local Royal Engineers museum and they are so easy to do. They are trying to raise 5000 knitted poppies for an exhibition locally and then they will be sold off to raise cash for Help for Hero's and I have promised them a 100, I did 9 last night alone as they are quick and easy to do, and I think I should hit my target with luck by the beginning of June.

Took one into the U3A meeting to scrounge some black buttons from my friends for the centre, and have been offered lots from people's button boxes.

How many of us have button boxes nowadays I wonder :) I still have mine from the mid 1960s and inside I have some buttons from my youngest DDs little blue duffle coat she wore when she was 3 .
    She will be 48 in December :):):) but I can't bring myself to bin them :)

Dug a shepherd's pie out from the freezer for dinner tonight as my son-in-law has Uni today and won't be home until gone 7.30 and DD doesn't get in until around 6.45 so its always a quick meal on a Thursday night for me.

Hope you all have a good day and the sun shines down on you all

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Yesterday was a cracker of a day, warm and sunny and it looks like more of the same today, I have a load finishing in the washer.

Day out today, have to pick up some wadding I ordered from a local company, then off to the pacemaker clinic, from there we are travelling to my quilting friends to see her. she was at the hospital yesterday re her knee, I hope she has managed to get scheduled for an op. The one on her right knee was very successful. Will hang the washing out before we go.

Rain is forecast for tomorrow, its badly needed, the ground is so cracked, we watered last night for over an hour, everything was so dry. I can see us having to switch to drought tolerant plants in the future.

Washer finished off to hang it out.
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks for the advice yesterday regarding keeping spare clothes on hand. An idea I hadn't thought of for some reason! What a wonderful bunch you all are.

Didn't get up to too much last night although I did go to the gym again. Finally managed to grab 30 minutes to read an old book I've never opened on how to negotiate. I'll bear with it for now but it's a bit tedious.

No plans for this evening although I may swing by my friends how as it's his sons birthday today. Which reminds me, I need to visit toys-r-us later.

Nelski - I was given the advice to tip someone early if you plan on using them often. The example for me was at the bar on the first day of a 2 week holiday.
    Hollyharvey - Aw thanks. Enjoy your relaxing day, I'm very jealous.
    Gers - Very healthy, right up my ketogenic street.
    JackieO - My gran is something special, you're right. Good luck with the sewing!

Hope you all have a lovely day and weather is as nice where you are is it in Glasgow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure