Reliable PS3 controller

One of the triggers is iffy on my old PS3 controller and now the left stick on the current one has an issue where you will continually move forward without touching it and the stick is not even leaning forward. I am constantly having to work that bit harder to control my character which spoils the game. So I need a new one so what is the best one to get for under £20? I don't think you can get official ones now but there are still many unofficial ones. All I need is for it to do it's job and not be likely to break after a few months. Also ideally be from a physical shop.
Any ideas?

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You should be able to get a second hand official PS3 Controller from a local independent game shop (if there is one near you).

But the best solution would be to get an official second hand one online from somewhere like eBay. If your happy to spend slightly more you could even get a brand new one.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    takman wrote: »
    You should be able to get a second hand official PS3 Controller from a local independent game shop (if there is one near you).

But the best solution would be to get an official second hand one online from somewhere like eBay. If your happy to spend slightly more you could even get a brand new one.

I don't want to get a second hand controller. My current controllers were brand new and have both failed me so how long would a second hand one last.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    most games shops are still selling ps3 games and kit - try somewhere like CEX - roughly £22. probably find it cheaper than that somewhere.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't want to get a second hand controller. My current controllers were brand new and have both failed me so how long would a second hand one last.

How old are the controllers that have failed?
  • donnajunkie
    takman wrote: »
    How old are the controllers that have failed?

Few years old at least.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 May 2017 at 6:53PM
    Mad Katz is a brand i know of.
  • donnajunkie
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Mad Katz is a brand i know of.

So long as I can play ok and a stick or trigger isn't going to develop a fault sooner than anyone should expect then it will do. The reason I ask is there is so many out there and of course some can be rubbish.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    donna, I had 2 official controllers with my PS3, one broke after 6 years, and the other is probably still working although it's in the cupboard with the console - used my PS3 for 7 years. I also had 2 unofficial ones for when mates were round and both lasted years. Sounds like you've been unlucky. I didn't like the unofficial ones as they didn't quite sit in my hand the same as official ones. If I were you, I would try before you buy as they will feel different. Also, not all unofficial ones are wireless, and not all are rechargeable via the usb cable. Bit of a mine-field, but worth popping down to somewhere like grainger games or Game and see what they sell. Have you looked at PS3 controller reviews online - if any were rated as good circa 2012, then they probably will be now.
  • donnajunkie
    donna, I had 2 official controllers with my PS3, one broke after 6 years, and the other is probably still working although it's in the cupboard with the console - used my PS3 for 7 years. I also had 2 unofficial ones for when mates were round and both lasted years. Sounds like you've been unlucky. I didn't like the unofficial ones as they didn't quite sit in my hand the same as official ones. If I were you, I would try before you buy as they will feel different. Also, not all unofficial ones are wireless, and not all are rechargeable via the usb cable. Bit of a mine-field, but worth popping down to somewhere like grainger games or Game and see what they sell. Have you looked at PS3 controller reviews online - if any were rated as good circa 2012, then they probably will be now.

Thanks for the advice. In Asda they have coloured wireless controllers for £12 and black wired controllers for £7. I should make the effort to post the brand name/model here but I keep forgetting it. They aren't even listed on the Asda website.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 May 2017 at 8:46AM
    Not heard of the brand but have heard of Gamestop, used to be UK based but looks like closed that down and moved everything to Rep of Ireland possibly due to Brexit.

https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%203/Games/58023/at-play-ps3-wired-controller
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure