saving V pension

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
4 replies 633 views
nat_dnat_d Forumite
2 Posts
Hi

i will be starting a new job where the pension contributions from myself and my employer will be a lot less than my current local government pension. i would like to know whether to start a private pension or savings - which would give me the best return?
thanks

Replies

• jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Savings are not suitable for retirement planning as the return is not good enough.

You will need to consider an investment of some sort - pension or S&S ISA. Are you planning to do this in addition to the pension being offered by your employer?
  • hi

yes i am planning to run it along side the employers pension - what is a S&S iSA?

thanks
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    S&S ISA is a Stocks & Shares ISA.

You have an allowance of £7000 each year that you can use for Stocks and shares. If you have already used your £3k cash ISA it still allows you to use £4k on stocks and shares.

As to whether you would be better off with a pension much depends on your tax position and whether or not the employer is contributing. As you have said that your employer is contributing to a different pension and unless you are a higher rate taxpayer, you might be better off with a S&S ISA.

This way you have control over when you take it as ooposed to a pension where it is locked in until retirement age.
  • benoodbenood Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    What contributions will your new employer make? If any at all I'd be inclined to agree and take their pension and make additional savings via another route.

You can read up on different types of ISAs elseswhere on the site.

If I remember right there's a few threads talking about the relative merits of saving vs pensions - try searching the forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides