Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was just wondering why a BT card? I had a look last week and both Barclaycard and Santander are offering 0% balance transfer with no fee for 27 months. Given the fee is anything from 1.5% to 2.9% you could save this fee if the checker on the main site says you are eligible. Just a thought

I meant a 0% balance transfer card not specifically a BT one. The Santander card sounds good and 27 months should see it cleared :) It is the only debt DH will have excluding the mortgage so I am hoping he has a good chance of securing a good deal.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    Options
    DH wanted a new game for his PS4 last night so we bought some new school shoes for DS at the same time. DH also bought a T shirt and has spent his personal spending money all ready. I hope he doesn't want to 'borrow' some more as there isn't any spare this month.

The weather is beautiful today and supposed to rain tomorrow so I want to get out and about in it asap.

We will need to do a rather large food shop as we have run out of a lot of household things and will need dog food. Food wise the list is not so long. I am starting DH food plan on Monday with smaller portion sizes. I really need to start eating properly, not to lose weight but to stop eating so much rubbish and to eat 3 proper meals a day, have more energy and look after my health. I'm not getting any younger! I probably will lose a bit of weight but that will an added bonus (especially as I will be in a bikini first week of June :eek:).

DS has training on Sunday morning and I will prepare as much of this week's meals as I can. I am away 1 night next week and have 2 lunches provided at meetings. One lunch I can't take my own but I will for the other and will pack my own dinner for the night away.

DH is annoyed that they have changed the number and times of the classes for his training plan which limits when he can go. He is unable to cancel but will certainly not be signing up again. We have found another training company that might work. I fancy this one as it is a mixture of running and strength training. I might email him today and see if I can have a 1 session free trial. I am worried I might die it looks so tough :rotfl:

Stuff to do this weekend:

1) Clean floors
    2) Put away underwear
    3) Fix printer
    4) Apply for new passport
    5) Take 2 dresses to be repaired
    6) Supermarket shop
    7) Ring Mum!
    8) Food prep including chicken curry, tomato sauce and vegetable and bean soup
    9) Paint toenails
    10) Fridge and freezer sort out and clean (before shop)
  • XSpender
    edited 22 April 2018 at 12:04PM
    Options
    We asked my MIL if she could do some ironing earlier this week to help us keep on top of it while I was away. We agreed we would pay her to do it. When DH got home he was suprised she hadn!!!8217;t done more but she had cleaned the kitchen and FIL had mowed the lawn. She hasn!!!8217;t asked for the money either which is a bit unusual. We found out why yesterday. She has ruined the iron by burning it so badly it is unusable and we have had to buy a new one. I havent worked out what it has been burnt on yet :(. What is annoying though is they have done similar damage to things before and never own up to it, if questioned they deny all knowledge :mad: I wish they would just say.

My reading glasses broke yesterday (cheapie from A5da) and I have melted a pair of kitchen scissors (which had a broken handle so were a pain to use) on the hob which has made a terrible stink. I hope that!!!8217;s my three things!

We did a big grocery shop yesterday as expected. £50 at the meat wholesalers and £120 at Mr T. I did use £19 of vouchers or it would have been worse. I was expecting to spend £200 as we had run out of everything. I have about £60/week for food for the next 3 week weeks which should be ample as we should only need bread, veg, a little fruit and dairy and some beer.

We also bought a rotary clothes drier yesterday which was this month!!!8217;s household budget so the money from the iron was taken from my 52 week challenge pot which had been earmarked for Christmas.

I have booked a taster session at the training company i was interested in fro Monday evening. If I go ahead with it the money will come from my personal spends.

I have found a good present for DS birthday (he has had his main present) and just need to pick up some sweetie sushi, the next Harry Potter and another book.

More jobs to do this afternoon:

1) Send payslips to mortgage broker
    2) Complete mortgage application on line
    3) Ironing
    4) DS homework
    4) Finish yesterday!!!8217;s list! :eek:
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    What a shame about the iron, and doubly so that she didn't tell you. Good luck with the rest of your list, especially the mortgage application.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The price of the rotary driers is :eek:. Had to get one myself yesterday and was stunned. Still the savings by not using a tumble dryer and the smell of air dried washing makes up for it.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My washing is draped over dd's climbing frame as I type this :D. We do have an airer, but it is in a corner of the understairs cupboard. And she is out climbing trees anyway, so doesn't need her climbing frame!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    Options
    The airier is still in the conservatory! DH needs to get something to secure it in to the ground better. I do have a line in the garden but as I usually have to get my washing done at the weekend the airier should help me avoid relying on the tumble dryer too much.

DS had a great morning at training and I think he will come in to his own next season as the game changes. It got really cold towards the end and then rained for a bit before the sun came out again this afternoon. We took the dog to the park near DH mum this afternoon so DS could use his skate board and called in for a cuppa before we all did another lap of the park. There was no mention of 'irongate';)

I have completed the mortgage application and sent our payslips off to the mortgage broker. DS did his homework in about ten minutes flat. I don't think I could have done his maths any quicker than he did. He is a bright boy with a particular talent for maths but isn't challenged enough. I would ask the teacher for something more demanding but the last parent's evening was cancelled and the one before a friend was offered some materials to support her child who was struggling and is still waiting.

I have to say that apart form DH cleaning the fridge and me putting the clean underwear away, food shopping and cleaning the kitchen the housework has been put on hold this weekend so we can enjoy the weather. Not sure we will get much done next weekend either as we are out all day Sunday at a festival with DS sports team.

I think it's about time I restarted my bullet journal and concentrated on a max of three things a day as I have been reading TOPM and Elaine on Mortgagefreeinthree do. I might as well give it a whirl cos not much is getting achieved at the moment.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My DD is the same, she is now 15 and still loves maths.
    When she was really young (not school age) she loved to do homework when DS did (6 years older) so I used to print work sheets from the kids BBC website off and she loved doing them.

My DD doesn't think she is good at maths so during the mock exams last week she opted for the lower paper, finished it in 45 mins while everyone else was still working, teacher marked it and told her that this week she MUST try the higher paper!!

Amazon also have some good maths work books on there but of course BBC and others are free.

If you aren't sure what he needs there are loads of teachers on MSE who might be able to help - I know the Turtle challenge has loads of teachers posting - you can find it on the Challenge board and its called April Fools.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Well done on getting the mortgage application done! A good thing to get out the way, hope it's all plain sailing with it.

Our weekend was completely wiped out for a different reason (2/5 of us ill, including me), and I am feeling so frustrated by it, but trying to look on the bright side - I did lots of financial planning while sat on the sofa!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • XSpender
    edited 23 April 2018 at 12:17PM
    Options
    Thanks EE. I have done that challenge a few times and will pop over and see if anyone can suggest relevant resources.

TOPM - nothing worse than having a hefty to do list and being unable to crack on with it due to illness. I was exactly the same between Christmas and New Year. A least you got to fiddle with your spreadsheets :)

This week I have two big frogs to sort out. The first is my passport as I am away in 6 weeks and the second is a decision about DS party.

I have found out that another school friend is having a party on the same day. My friend whose child is in the same class says she is only having 6 girls but DS thinks she is having everyone but a few (seems unlikely). He is the newest boy in a class where the Mums are quite clicky and have been so since before they started so I can understand why other kids would be invited and him not if there are limited spaces as there usually are at this age.

He will only be inviting 10 so we either just go ahead and book it for the Saturday and see what responses we get or offer him an alternative treat like last year. DH has also suggested we have the party 2 weeks after his birthday. His birthday is bank holiday weekend which is too close now and we avoided it thinking people may have other plans.

Who knew having a child would have so many political ramifications!

My three things for today are:

1) Make soup and tomato sauce for pasta for later in the week
    2) Attend trial of new trainer 5pm and try not to die
    3) Make a decision about DS party and book it if needed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income