Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Get your DHs virgin card as low as possible before porting to keep the BT fee as low as possible. The loans and the HP deals will also affect affordability so don’t be tempted to take any more HP out. Instead of thinking what discounts you are saving think of the extra £130 you need to find a month to come out of your income to repay it.

I appreciate you want to do all this work to your house but it does not all need to be done now. I think it took us the best part of 15 years to get our house decorated and as we wanted it.

I read your old diary last night. Did you stretch yourselves to buy this house? It looks like your mortgage at one point was £119k and it more than doubled when you bought this one? Maybe I have it wrong though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds like a great plan .You can do it.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love reading your diary, as I think you're as honest and open as I am about your less-than-perfect spends, but also open to people suggesting things that don't need to be spent on.

That's why I like reading your diary too TOPM. If I can't be honest on here I am only lying to myself and that isn't going to help me move forward. I kind of know what I should and shouldn't be doing but sometimes hearing it from someone else makes it more real.

I would agree that every single item on your house list is a want rather than a need - absolutely none of them are needed to make/keep your house habitable. Our house also hasn't been updated at all since the late eighties - the kitchen is revolting, every single last wall is papered in vile textured wallpaper and the hideous artex ceiling plastering is flaking off due to (now resolved) damp, so I feel your pain in holding off doing work that would make home life infinitely more enjoyable. But over the past 12 months I have really had to get my head round the idea that I don't have a right to any of those lovely things I would like. They are extras, not necessary for our health and safety. It really grates, especially when I visit friends who have been able to do all the things on their properties that I would have done to ours were it not for LBM and DF journey. And knowing how lovely our house will be when it finishes. All of it. But none of it is worth making our financial position even more vulnerable than it already is.

The 80's textured wallpaper, aertex ceilings and dated kitchen are exactly what we have here. Plus we moved from a 2 down 3 up to an 8 down 6 up and needed storage as we had built in wardrobes and cupboards in the last house.

I have spoken to DH again this morning and agreed that we finish the guest room and that is it so we can focus on reducing the debt to allow the re-mortgage. I would not bother doing this room but my mum and step dad stay in this room (because it has the en-suite) and as they live 100 miles away they stay over when they visit us. It's not as if we have lots of other guests all the time and none of our friends care what the house looks like they just like looking at the view :rotfl:

I don't have a very close relationship with my Dad who lives abroad, hence I haven't seen him in several years, and he is a bit of a snob which is why I suppose I wanted to make the guest room nicer than it is when it hasn't bothered my Mum before :o

I am going to work on DH (who likes gardening but is short of time) to get him to agree that we do a lot of work in the garden together.
    I appreciate you want to do all this work to your house but it does not all need to be done now. I think it took us the best part of 15 years to get our house decorated and as we wanted it.

We had planned to take 5 years and we are way ahead of that.

I read your old diary last night. Did you stretch yourselves to buy this house? It looks like your mortgage at one point was £119k and it more than doubled when you bought this one? Maybe I have it wrong though.

We had an IO mortgage of about £121k when we bought the last house in 2006 and paid a couple of grand off with OPs. When we decided we wanted to move we OPd over £1000/month and paid off another £10k in about 9 months, saved another £1000 for the moving fees and borrowed £8k off family, about £4000 of which paid for the kitchen makeover. Our mortgage was on 0.5% and we had about £1000-1500 on a 0% CC. There are only 4 of these houses in the village, they change hands once a generation, and the location/view is amazing. It is also the style of house I have always dreamed of living in so yes we pushed ourselves to buy it probably 4-6 months before we were financially ready
    try_harder wrote: »
    That sounds like a great plan .You can do it.

Thank you try harder.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So you went from a 0.5% mortgage of £110k approx to a £270k mortgage on 3.4%? That is a huge jump even taking your OPs into consideration. What is the term of your new mortgage?

If your dad is a snob and does not think your house is good enough I would be telling him to book a hotel! Surely he is coming to spend time with you and your family not examine the d!cor? Can you not explain you have not long been in the house and having to take your time to do it up due to the cost of the house in the first place?

No way would I be going further into debt for doing up a guest room. If you can do it out of your monthly surplus if there still is one then that is your choice but personally I would have thought the money would be better spent on doing things with them while they are staying? That is where I always find the spendiest thing about having guests is. Entertainment and eating out. If you spend your spare money on mirrors and door handles etc is there anything left to spend during his stay or will he pick up the tab for days and meals out etc?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ladies and gents,

Would it be ok to join you? I'm on what feels like a never ending debt free journey - determined this time will be the last time! My mortgage finishes this year but if i manage to stay on track with the cards and bank loan it will be another two years after before we can finally say we are free, I think reading and joining in with this thread could help me say on track. Thank you x
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    sharronej wrote: »
    Hi ladies and gents,

Would it be ok to join you? I'm on what feels like a never ending debt free journey - determined this time will be the last time! My mortgage finishes this year but if i manage to stay on track with the cards and bank loan it will be another two years after before we can finally say we are free, I think reading and joining in with this thread could help me say on track. Thank you x

Welcome.
    You might be best starting your own thread as you will get more visitors that way.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    A good alternative to a £10 toilet roll holder is a simple kitchen roll pole like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSV-Chrome-Kitchen-Dispenser-Silver/dp/B00I49LFEY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517178444&sr=8-4&keywords=kitchen+roll+holder which holds three loo rolls and is less than a fiver - I think I bought the one in my bathroom for a pound from the pound shop. You never run out of loo roll in the guest suite either ;)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So you went from a 0.5% mortgage of £110k approx to a £270k mortgage on 3.4%? That is a huge jump even taking your OPs into consideration. What is the term of your new mortgage?

£288k @ 3.19% over 18years.

If your dad is a snob and does not think your house is good enough I would be telling him to book a hotel! Surely he is coming to spend time with you and your family not examine the d!cor? Can you not explain you have not long been in the house and having to take your time to do it up due to the cost of the house in the first place?

No way would I be going further into debt for doing up a guest room. If you can do it out of your monthly surplus if there still is one then that is your choice but personally I would have thought the money would be better spent on doing things with them while they are staying? That is where I always find the spendiest thing about having guests is. Entertainment and eating out. If you spend your spare money on mirrors and door handles etc is there anything left to spend during his stay or will he pick up the tab for days and meals out etc?

As soon as we encountered the plaster problem we knew we were not going to be able to get the room ready for my Dad coming. The work on the list is what it needs to get it finished which we will take longer over.
    A good alternative to a £10 toilet roll holder is a simple kitchen roll pole like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSV-Chrome-Kitchen-Dispenser-Silver/dp/B00I49LFEY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517178444&sr=8-4&keywords=kitchen+roll+holder which holds three loo rolls and is less than a fiver - I think I bought the one in my bathroom for a pound from the pound shop. You never run out of loo roll in the guest suite either ;)

I've got one of those in the downstairs loo!

On Saturday I cleared out the junk from the front bedroom which was an upstairs sitting room for the previous owners, started off as being a part office/part dressing room/dog's bedroom when we moved in but hasn't had much of a purpose really even though it is the second biggest bedroom. I wanted it tidy for my dad coming even though we had planned to put them in our room (due to the plaster issue) and we would put the blow up bed up in the guest room. Loads of stuff went in the loft and 6 bags of rubbish went to the tip and a hanging rail moved back into our room until the wardrobe comes.

On Sunday DH said he would put the new bed that we bought for the guest room up in the above bedroom so we could have a proper bed to sleep in. It looked so good when we put the bed up we have moved a bit of furniture around, moved a wicker chair in from elsewhere and put up 2 pictures and lo and behold we have created a guest room for my dads visit :o Yes the paper isn't to our taste (but probably the best condition of any of the rooms) and the curtains (2 windows) are wafer thin and none of the furniture matches but it looks great :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A good result!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Oh well done, that's absolutely brilliant! I know how it is when you have your heart set on one solution, I'm so pleased you've managed to find a compromise that feels OK enough to live with for now. Big pat on the back for Team XSpender. :D
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback