We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Potato plants coming through - help needed

We took over a derelict allotment (out of use for 18 months) in August and have been slowly removing masses of couch grass and deep digging.
One plot, which we thought we had cleared, we sowed with green manure which is coming through nicely.
What is also coming through are potato plants. I dug one up and found a small potato at the end. We had found small potatoes while digging the plot but thought we had removed them all - obviously not.
What should I do with these - are they viable - should I just remove them all?
Valerie

Comments

• nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    why not leave them to grow until the foliage is cut down by the frost and then you might get enough small potatoes for a meal!
    It's difficult to get rid of all the really tiny potatoes and I find I always get a few small plants growing through in the spring - there's a name for that, something like gift potatoes or something
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • Lord_Gardener
    Lord_Gardener Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Leave them in your plot, I'm sure you'll get a few growing next year or harvest them for Christmas!!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • tenuissent
    tenuissent Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    We call them "volunteers" round here. They're a nuisance if they come up among your beans etc, but if you're only sowing green manure I'd leave them and see what you get.
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Hi everyone,

I have just found a potato in my vegetable box which is starting to sprout, so I have put it in a large tub of compost and watered it - how likely is it that I will get any crop from this?

Has anyone tried this before?
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My main crop are now coming up, so with any luck you will.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    kazwookie wrote: »
    My main crop are now coming up, so with any luck you will.
    Hi Kaz,

Thanks for that. Have you planted yours like I have? Also, when I have lifted any new ones do they still keep coming?
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    If you've put it in the bottom of the tub with only a little soil then you need to keep earthing it up when the green bits appear. You'll get a bigger crop this way, though I don't know if it will be a bigger or faster crop than by putting the spuds in the top of the bucket- maybe someone else will know?
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We have a thread similar to this already, I'll add your query to it so all the replies are together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure