Scottish Power - Prepayment Meter Change Deposit

Hi all,

I have recently bought a new house which unfortunately has prepayment meters installed for both gas and electricity. The supplier is Scottish Power so I gave them a call to set up an account with them and let them know we wish for the meters to be changed to regular credit meters. The chap on the phone kindly informed me that there would be a credit check involved which I agreed to. He then told me that because of the results of the credit check I'd need to pay £300 (£150 for each meter) as a deposit for these meters and it would be returned after 12 months of on time payments.

Now, my plan is to get the meters changed and move to someone else (not one of the big 6). I asked if I would get the deposit back if left before the 12 months and he said that I would. After this conversation I have spoken to people who have said they seriously doubt that Scottish Power will give me my deposit back if leave before 12 months. Has anyone had any experience in this particular scenario?

To make matters even more ridiculous I am currently on an economy 7 tariff even though we do not have storage heaters. I queried if they could be changed from economy 7 to standard meters during the changing appointment and they said that isn't possible and they have to change from prepayment on economy 7 to credit meters on economy 7 and then I need to call again and get them to change them from credit economy 7 to standard credit meters. This sounds absolutely just about the most stupid thing I may have ever heard, can it possibly be true!?
Already cannot wait to leave Scottish Power!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April 2017 at 9:27PM
    Ok, switch to EDF then.EDF have one of the softest credit checks of the big 6.. Prepay rates wont vary much , they are all high.
    Scottish Power used to have the highest prices for removing prepay meters at over £200 a meter before OFGEM stopped suppliers charging but they are still intent on trying to trap people on high prepayment meters into staying on them..A year is far too long to hold the bond.
    It is important to get the meter wiring switched to single rate only because then you will open up the whole market and not have to rely on the suppliers who will total the two reads together and bill single rate so you will have to bite the bullet and possibly pay out to get this done.I d still switch from Scot Power to EDF anyway to get away from Scottish Power. Eco 7 day rate on standard/variable /prepays is horrendous in my area around 18p/kwr last time I looked..My rates with Robin Hood Energy this year are 10.5/p kwh. This is the sort of tariff you should be looking to get on in the near future. Scottish Power have had some very good one year fixes lately though
  • Keith_F
    Keith_F Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My daughter has exactly the same problem with Scot power.
    Despite her Experian report showing a good credit history, Scot power say she has failed, she reapplied, which just resulted in a second hard credit check, this has degraded her credit rating a lot.
    It’s just a scam to keep people on prepayment or get deposits off them.
    Scot power are corrupt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport