How good are vanguard

Options
Hi I'm interested to know from people how good or bad the life strategy plans with vanguard are ?.
I see a lot people referring to the vanguard plans, and would like to know more about them.
I'm 57 yrs old trying to decide where to invest say around 50k maybe a bit more.
Then will decide which one to go 80/20, 60/40. Not sure yet,as im looking to finish work a little earlier than normal retirement age (12 HR shift worker factory).
Any help info much appreciated.
Cheers.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked out your state pension situation to help with planning?

When do you plan to cease employment?

Do you plan to use the SIPP/other personal pension to "bridge the gap" to state pension/occupational pension age?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How long are you investing it for?

Vanguard funds are reasonably low cost and the ones you refer to, cover the global markets with a bias towards the UK (eg more UK than if you just took a representative sample of global companies)

So to answer your question "how good are they" they are good on a charge basis (though you can get better) and how their performance is (another measure of good?) depends upon how the global and the UK economy do and is nothing to do with Vanguard.
  • penpon
    penpon Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Have you checked out your state pension situation to help with planning?

When do you plan to cease employment?

Do you plan to use the SIPP/other personal pension to "bridge the gap" to state pension/occupational pension age?

Yes I my state pension kicks in 2026 full quota if I work another 3 yrs from now.
    I would like to go at 60 but might consider part time.
    Yes I have 25 yrs in a final salary pension , and currently in my company money purchase scheme 7 yes, standard life.
    Just looking for somewhere to make the most of my savings , did consider property but not knowing anything about rentals, thought best to keep away.
  • penpon
    penpon Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    How long are you investing it for?

Vanguard funds are reasonably low cost and the ones you refer to, cover the global markets with a bias towards the UK (eg more UK than if you just took a representative sample of global companies)

So to answer your question "how good are they" they are good on a charge basis (though you can get better) and how their performance is (another measure of good?) depends upon how the global and the UK economy do and is nothing to do with Vanguard.

Hi I was thinking the 5 year mark.
    I don't know anything about investing that's why I thought of putting it in managed fund would be better.
    Forgive me for my naivety but just looking for a place I can grow my savings for my retirement.
    Cheers.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I'm interested to know from people how good or bad the life strategy plans with vanguard are ?.

Vanguard currently offer no plans in the UK. Although if you have more than £100,000 to invest in a single fund, this can be done with them.

The LS funds are not plans. They are investment funds.

They are a multi-asset fund which is cheap. it is not only option that does this. Like any solution, it has pros and cons. it is missing a few sectors that some may consider important. The allocations are relatively rigid and do not get frequent updates. The underlying assets are 100% passive. The weightings to some sectors may not considered appropriate by some.

There are other multi-asset solutions available. Opinions will vary on what people decide they feel is best as investing is largely about opinion.

What is happening in five years that you will no longer require this investment? Do you plan to spend it?

An economic cycle is around 10 years in length. So, you would be investing for only half of it. Are you going to get the better half or the not so good half?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    penpon wrote: »
    I don't know anything about investing that's why I thought of putting it in managed fund would be better.
    Forgive me for my naivety but just looking for a place I can grow my savings for my retirement.
    Cheers.

5 years is too short for an investment unless if it hasn't paid off in that time you can leave in another 5 or so ?
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    This "five year too short, ten year OK" mind-set is really strange when used for all situations.

If the guy is soon to retire and wants a growing income, I can see nothing more sensible than a stock market investment.

Getting older? Reduce the risk, put it in the building society. What? Nonsense.

If you want no hassle, inflation proof income plus, there is no alternative to the stock market.

Rant over.
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    This "five year too short, ten year OK" mind-set is really strange when used for all situations.

I find it unhelpful because it's shorthand for 'the shorter the time in the market. the riskier it is'. It's not a brick wall it just means that, if you happened to invest at the worst time in the economic cycle, it might take a few years longer to get your money back with a sensible return. How that affects you depends on your personal circumstances. If you're thinking about retiring but could easily put it off for a bit, maybe you could live with that. If you're 95 then waiting longer is probably not something you want.

It's another risk to throw into the pot - but maybe the risk is lower than staying in cash until 'this year, next year, sometime, never'.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2017 at 4:43PM
    Options

Its not strange. It just means that the risk is increased by the shorter the term. Risk is diluted over time. The longer you invest, the closer you will move to the long term average. The shorter term you invest, the further away you could be and that could be higher or lower depending on those particular years.

I am more focused on why there is this fixed 5 year period and not open ended until death or something similar.
    If the guy is soon to retire and wants a growing income, I can see nothing more sensible than a stock market investment.

But he is only investing for 5 years. So, what is going to happen in 5 years time that requires all that money? He is going to have to risk reduce almost as soon as he starts investing.
    Getting older? Reduce the risk, put it in the building society. What? Nonsense.
    Absolutely right.

If you want no hassle, inflation proof income plus, there is no alternative to the stock market.

Or other asset classes used in conjunction with the stockmarket. Such as those used in multi-asset funds.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • manninman
    manninman Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am more focused on why there is this fixed 5 year period and not open ended until death or something similar.

I understand the 'death' bit: bit uncertain about the 'something similar'!

Regards all round ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport