PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this allowed?

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cookie7209 wrote: »
    It has changed though. It's changing the use of the garage isn't it. From a garage to potentially a dwelling.
    And that changes THEIR property, for CT purposes - which'll be dealt with the usual way, by an Improvement Index flag going against it, leading to it being rebanded at the next sale.

But it doesn't change YOUR property one bit.
    cookie7209 wrote: »
    So if someone resides next door that could affect the value of our house and that's a big problem

They would almost certainly need planning permission for the change. You would object to the planning application. Your application would be considered - and, if it's within the acceptable grounds for objections, may well make the difference between it being accepted and rejected. "Loss of value" is not an acceptable ground.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    Options
    Am I understanding this correctly? How can you have a detached house when next doors garage is attached to it. How did the garage come to be built on your house rather than theirs?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Am I understanding this correctly? How can you have a detached house when next doors garage is attached to it. How did the garage come to be built on your house rather than theirs?
    The OP's already answered that.

At the time of building the garage, half a century ago, the OP's property was not a separate property. A garage was built on the side of an old coach house.

Two decades later, the coach house was redeveloped, split onto a separate title, and sold off - but the garage remained with the main original property.

They bought the coach house in the full knowledge there was somebody else's garage attached to it.

It's another great example of why drip-feeding pertinent information hinders threads.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

But it doesn't change YOUR property one bit.

Erm... when looking for a home, would you pay more for a fully detached house rather than one with a neighbour joined to it? Of COURSE it changes their property. The value, the peace and quiet.

OP, I'd run the neighbour through the wringer for doing this. Nice or not, they've tried to cut corners, avoid the loopholes that everyone else has to jump through, and they've sliced a chunk off your house value.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Erm... when looking for a home, would you pay more for a fully detached house rather than one with a neighbour joined to it? Of COURSE it changes their property. The value, the peace and quiet.
    <shrug> So they can object to the retrospective planning application, if it doesn't come under permitted development.

Odd that the OP hasn't even noticed until the EA details have shown the work's been done, given the disruption...
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »

What's peaceful and quiet about a garage?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's unlikely they'll be asked to demolish the garage, but they may well be told to return it to its original status as an outbuilding.

I wouldn't worry too much about the neighbours being upset; they've shown neither you nor the planning system any respect here.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    What's peaceful and quiet about a garage?

We don't even if it was used as a garage, since many outbuildings like this are frequently used just for storage.

If you were to listen hard outside my garage, you might hear something maybe once every week or so for a few minutes. That's rather different from having someone resident in there.

Mind you, if this is an outbuilding tacked-on to the exterior wall of an old coach-house, it'll be unlikely that much will be heard through it.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We don't even if it was used as a garage, since many outbuildings like this are frequently used just for storage.

If you were to listen hard outside my garage, you might hear something maybe once every week or so for a few minutes. That's rather different from having someone resident in there.

If you were anywhere in the vicinity of my garage lately, you'd have heard chop saws, angle grinders, jigsaws and routers quite a lot... Not to mention the petrol strimmer and mower. I've not had the chainsaw or hedgetrimmer out this year - yet.

Somebody living there would have been quieter.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If you were anywhere in the vicinity of my garage lately, you'd have heard chop saws, angle grinders, jigsaws and routers quite a lot... Not to mention the petrol strimmer and mower. I've not had the chainsaw or hedgetrimmer out this year - yet.

Somebody living there would have been quieter.

Well, if that's usual, your neighbour would probably welcome a change of use, but the OP didn't have that problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure