UKPC second warning letter by post

My husband got a parking ticket in my car from UKPC in a free, retail car park for not parking within the lines. He ignored the on screen ticket as he said it was not legally enforceable. I received a letter with photographic evidence demanding the full fine amount, again he said to ignore it as it isn't legally enforceable.
Yesterday I received a second letter through the post. It is clearly meant to scare and intimidate, talking of debt recovery and county court judgements. What should I do? It has details on how to appeal.
My questions are - Should I pay? Appeal? Can they legally enforce the ticket? I'm so confused (and worried). :(

Replies

• pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to start by reading the Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum.

I explains the current situation with private parking across the UK and the avenues/strategies for seeing them-off.

Sounds like your husband is going on pre-POFA 2012 advice. Things have largely moved-on, unless you are in Scotland or NI, where ignoring is still viable.
  • edited 30 April 2017 at 7:19AM
    fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2017 at 7:19AM
    Your husband is wrong, these charges can land you in the small claims court, if you ignore, but you are not dealing with a fine, it's a speculative invoice from a bunch of Muppet chancers!

If in England or Wales as Pogo says Appeal as per the newbies thread, do not reveal who the driver was though.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tell him to google the name BARRY BEAVIS , and read about how Barry lost in 3 courts before 11 judges in total. ask him who won all 3 cases (not UKPC but still a very large private parking company)

then do as stated above and read the advice in the NEWBIES sticky thread and get somebody who is sober , knowledgeable and more "with it" to send in the blue text appeal asap

as they say in legal circles

"in representing himself , your husband has a fool for a client"
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKPC have got themselves in a bit of bother with the taxman, they may not be around for very long.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • edited 30 April 2017 at 5:02PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2017 at 5:02PM
    Yep, you need to be aware that this should not have been ignored at the time (during the appeal window, you the keeper of the car, should have appealed it and would likely have won at POPLA if you'd come here earlier) but now it is at debt collector letter stage, this IS a time to ignore it!

To be fair, this is all covered in 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST'.

NO-ONE is telling you to pay this, nor be scared by the prospect of fighting it of they try a small claim. As the Deep says, they (UKPC, a bunch of ex-clampers not worthy of your money) are the subject of a HMRC Winding Up petition.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides