We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

My pony has just eaten my Azelia

Options
right down to the bare stalks :mad:

does anyone know if it will come back or is that it now, dead ?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 April 2017 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Sod the azalea ! These plants are extremely toxic to horses (and cats and dogs) - you need to be on the phone to your vet NOW.

I've pm'd this message to you - please take heed!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not in same class, but my dog oiked one out and was using it as a nice chucking & chewing stick until it was noticed after a few hours

Replanted with two options, plant chose the get up & grow one, went on to thrive for years

Never give up, if the roots are there it has every chance
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have to agree with Silvertabby - Azalea is likely to do far more damage to horse than horse to Azalea. The Azalea may shoot from the ground again. The horse won't!
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 April 2017 at 4:39PM
    Options
    If the roots are there it should grow,back. As the others say, Azaleas are poisonous. Even if your pony isn't showing symptoms have a word with the vet as it can cause colic and heart problems which could be untreatable if left too late. Did your pony get into somewhere he shouldn't? If not then dig the plant up so it doesn't happen again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure