JSA or Universal Credit claim?

Options
I have just been made redundant and don't know whether I should apply for universal credit or the contribution-based JSA? I think the job centre will say i have too much savings as I am just over the £16,000 allowed, this amount includes redundancy money plus pension lump sum. I am in the process of submitting a claim for universal credit, but a friend said JSA is separate claim altogether. If someone can clarify this I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are entitled to contribution based JSA then you need to claim this.

Much depends on the area you live in and your circumstances.

Read this then follow the links to make the claim.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/what-type-you-get
  • rosezi
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, my postcode area is under full universal credit, I spoke to job centre enquiries and they said I should wait to see if I am entitled to universal credit, if they say I am not entitled, then I should apply for JSA, separately.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately some of those at the Job Centre are not well trained.

I am not familiar with the full service areas of UC but...

My personal advice would be to do it the other way round. Claim the 'new style JSA' (the old contribution based JSA) if you know that you are entitled to it (plus it is not means tested) and then put in a claim for UC if you have housing costs etc. and see if you are entitled.

The reason I say this is because UC takes about 6 weeks to get payment and if you are awarded contribution based JSA (new style JSA) then this would be treated as income if you were awarded UC so you wouldn't 'lose out' money wise.

I suggest you telephone the UC helpline

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/before-you-apply/universal-credit-eligibility/

and get another opinion.
  • OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Universal Credit seems to be for 6 income based welfare payments. You are claiming contribution based JSA.

Universal Credit will replace the following:
    • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Housing Benefit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Income Support
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/claiming-other-benefits
  • datec66
    datec66 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are not entitled to UC as you have more than £16k in savings. So as said, you should ring up UC to apply for new style JSA conts based. Once your savings lower to under £16k, you can then apply for UC online as well as receiving new style JSA C. Whether your entitled to it then depends on all your circumstances, the tariff income on your savings plus your JSA income for the remaining weeks till you hit week 26.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure